Mantaflow Simulation Flow object initial velocity not working

Hi, I hope this reaches the official developers of blender especially the mantaflow department
I have a problem at the moment where the initial velocity of the smoke you set up inside the flow object doesnt seem to be working at the moment.
I have set the normal velocity to an absurd amount to compare it with one without the init vel turned on and the both results where the same.
This is a grave problem when Trying to make a nice smoke puff effect for video game vfx
If someone could help me or atleast tell me what blender is planning to do with this problem Id be grateful. Thank you

I just tried it and it works on my side. However, if you go in the cache settings on your domain object, is the cache type set to replay? This would cause the simulation to be baked while you play it in the viewport, so any setting you change afterward appears not to work. If you change the cache type to something else and then back to replay, it gets reset and you can see if the result is different.

If it’s truly a bug and you can’t make it work, you could instead use a wind force field object with a max distance and place it next to the smoke emitter.

I usually set the type to “All” as to avoid that happening, And It does seem like it isnt completely null at the moment, (Im pretty sure it was broken in 3.0)

Still I dont think it is functioning the way it was intended, since the smoke moves in almost like a cross, completely ignoring the float objects normal direction… Unless thats how it has always been.

I found a thread presenting the similar issue
https://developer.blender.org/T88257

And they are saying that there are no one maintaining mantaflow since december of last year :slightly_frowning_face:

I guess all the inconveniences that are present atm doesnt have a fix date atm…

Thank you for trying helping me get closer to solution :grin:

The cross effect has always been a problem, it also was in the old smoke system. When making an explosion effect, I would use a force field with an animated intensity instead of using the initial velocity. Or maybe using a particle system as the emitter could work better?

When making animations in Blender a lot of people tend to import simulations made in other software rather than using Blender’s own smoke system.

1 Like

I see, thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely try them out!

As of using other softwares, that should be the best way out of this but My company doesnt want to invest in learning houdini or embergen at the moment, so I will be stuck with blender for a while…

Thanks again for helping me through this