Manual vertex editing in blender

Hello all,

I’m currently a freelance 3D artist who’s moved from max/maya workflows to Blender. I’ve been using Blender as my main production tool for 2 and a half years now, and have recently started working in a small games company with big ideas in Brussels, Belgium. Our workflow uses Blender to make assets and unity for the actual games.

With one of our recent games we’ve run into a few issues trying to get some things appearing exactly as we would wish- and to do this we need to edit our vertex normals manually. This is very common practice in games production and in some cases is a real necessity for quality assets…

We’ve trawled forums and BA to find a way to do this properly and have found that apparently it’s not possible with blender in its current state, but there are a few plugins lying around which would do this properly.

I suppose the development team has this option on its way (and have seen some posts confirming this assumption), but while waiting I thought I’d run this post to ask those who’ve tested this sort of workflow out which addon is the friendlyest, most efficient and precise way to to this. I’ve used a couple of addons and had limited success because of too much automation, twisted usage or limited functionality.

Any tips?

a few issues trying to get some things appearing exactly as we would wish- and to do this we need to edit our vertex normals manually

Are you talking about Blender generated assets not rendering properly in unity?

Vertex groups identify sub-components of a mesh, like the legs of a chair or the hinges of a door. By “bookmarking” such regions in vertex groups you can easily select and work on them in isolation without having to create separate objects. With the hide function you can even remove everything else from view.
http://www.emaildatasupply.com/

All I know is that you work with a game firm in brussels and something is not working. Could you specify what?