Manually making a low poly mesh from high

Hi all,

I’m fairly new to blender and I’m looking to make a low poly mesh from a high poly without using the decimate script or anything like that.

Is there a tool to add a vertex to the low poly but have it’s position be based off the high poly’s face?

Thanks for any help.

You could approach this in several ways, just copy the high poly object and in edit mode use un-subdivide option to reduce it’s polycount. Then you’d probably need to manually add or remove edges, faces etc. The second way would be just to build around the existing high poly mesh with the most basic primitives.

I’m gonna be honest here and tell you that since you haven’t provided any information regarding what type of object you’re planing to make low poly version off the members of this site have decided to waste any time on this. When I say information I actually mean: descriptive information of what model are you talking about, how low poly do you want it to be, renders or screenshots of the object and possibly a blend file. I’ve just in the mood to answer your question that is severely painful for a any long time member of this site but seeing that you’re quite new here I decided to answer your question in a way and to even give you some tips regarding the site and it’s members.

Since you intend to create a new object - any primitive would do to start a creation in edit mode - however first you have to have a base for a new object. Add a Plane - it has a least amount of vertices from all default objects.
In edit mode you can select all vertices and Alt-M merge them which leaves you with one vertex per object only. You can start to E extrude this (or just Ctrl mouse click in the desired location; if nothing is selected Ctrl-click would start a separate mesh island inside the same object).

To have newly added vertices ‘stick’ on some surface best option is to add a Shrinkwrap modifier to the newly created object and choose as a target object you want to ‘trace over’.

To make face creation even faster you could use addon Bsurfaces which allows to draw Grease Pencil strokes which in turn determine general direction and size of the face patch you want to create; after you click the button AddSurface (on the toolshelf, if the addon is activated) you guessed it - surface patch is added where you had drawn guide lines. You are left to adjust amount of faces you want there and check if Shrinkwrap has done proper job.