Manually migrating preferences and addons to newer Blender version

Hi,
I wanted to quickly move preferences and addons from my Bledner 2.92 installment to 3.0. Normally, Blender does this automatically, but I’m using a custom portable build, so it’s not an option.
So I duplicated all this folder:
%APPDATA%\Blender Foundation\Blender/2.92
including “config” and “scripts” subfolders, and renamed it to “3.0”. Before that, I backed up and removed the original “3.0” folder, which only contained default preferences and addons.
As for now, everything seems to work just fine - my addons and prefs moved seamlessly, but I want to make sure that this is an “officially” safe thing to do, and I don’t break anything.
Pretty much, each new version of Blender has slightly different structure of preferences, as new features are added.
Can anyone confirm that what I just did is a right or risky thing?

I don’t think there’s anything ‘risky’ about about it. The import previous settings button on the splash screen likely just does the same thing.

It’ll could cause some addons to break though. Either because the Python API has changed, or they have additional dependencies that are specific to a version of Python.

1 Like

Yeah, but this the same as if I just manually isntalled an addon that needs Python upgrade.
Cuz indeed, Blender has updated Pyton API from 3.7 to 3.9 (AFAIK) in 2.93 version, so surely some of my addons will break, but I’m aware of that :slight_smile:

I think that this Import Previous Settings button only shows up in the installed versions. I use E-Cycles build, which is portable, and it doesn’t have the button on its splash screen. I guess that’s because it simply doesn’t know which and where is “the previous version” in my system.