Manuals and books?

(Sprite) #1

I am strongly considering purchasing a Blender book, before they possibly go out-of-print. Which do you recommend I buy? Or do you think that the online tutorials are sufficient for learning Blender?

• The Official Blender 2.0 Guide for $50?
  • The Blender Book for ~$28?

(These are the lowest prices I can get from Barnes & Noble locally and at Amazon.com.)

Thank you! :slight_smile:

(dreamsgate) #2

While the official manual #2 is very good for reference, the blender book was IMO alot easier to understand and put to practical use. There are alot of really good tutorials in it. (BTW I have both and actually use them both when looking for answers.)

(Sprite) #3

Thanks for your reply!

I actually went down to my local bookshop which (miraculously) stocked both. The Blender 2.0 Official Guide was very pretty to look at, but (like the program itself – no slam at all! I like the program’s interface; like Emacs, it just took some getting used to!) the book was a little hard to follow in its unorthodox style. It looked more like a reference book.

So, I picked up a copy of The Blender Book instead. :slight_smile: But when I save up the money, I’d like to get both.

(Turkey) #4

Is “the blender book” writen by WARTMANN, CARSTEN?? They have it on a norwaegian netshop, but it isen’t any pic of it.
Is “the blender book” outdated or is it stil up to date??

(Schlops) #5

On 2002-03-17 03:46, Turkey wrote:
Is “the blender book” writen by WARTMANN, CARSTEN?? They have it on a norwaegian netshop, but it isen’t any pic of it.
Is “the blender book” outdated or is it stil up to date??

Yeah, that should be callis (Carsten Wartmann) book. It is still up to date, except the new IKA/Armatures-system and some of the Python stuff. And nothing about gameblender.