Manuel Bastioni Lab, turns Blender in a laboratory for 3d humanoids creation

Thank you!

Yes.

NOTE: The mathematical meaning of ā€œInfluenceā€ parameter is changed a bit: in 1.6.1a it works better with low values, usually between 20 and 50.

When I import a fresh made MB character (v1.6.1) without hair asset into Unity 3D (both 2018.1 and 2017.3), following the written steps here:
http://manuelbastionilab.wikia.com/wiki/Unity_3D

The polygons on the head are not properly attached it seems:

Is this related to the way unity ā€˜chopsā€™ up meshes (to keep below the max value for OpenGLES which uses u16 vals in element array)?

If Iā€™m not in trouble they updated its mesh importer and you can go over the 65555 polys limit.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/FBXImporter-Model.html

index format set to 32bit should solve thisā€¦if this is the reason of your issue.

This indeed looks impressive. So easy to make humans.
2 Things which force me to stick to MakeHuman

1. No Child characters.
  2. Forcing me to use Cycles. MakeHuman characters look good even with BlenderRender Engine. I have a Surface pro without dedicated graphics card, so Cycles is out of question :slight_smile:

Hi,

firstly, let me thank you for this great work you have created for the community. Itā€™s like a lifetime of work gifted to us. You are very generous Manuel.

I have a problem modifying my model. I have these parameters I am trying to use for a male character but no matter how I change body mass and tone and other attributes, the model wonā€™t update to these parameters and thus I canā€™t even export as a .json to give you. The parameters are in inches:
chest_depth_Y 11.000
chest_girth 49.500
chest_width_X 22.000
shoulders_width 20.750
waist_girth 47.500
wrist_girth 7.000
I tried some other init models like super hero and brute, but it just doesnā€™t let me.
If I make a giant 100" tall or more it helps but I need to limit the height to 74" for my model or 184cm.
Is there a limit to model size? Can I change the number of vectors in the mesh or something if that is the limit? Is there something easy I can do in blender or a line that can be changed in the source code?

Many thanks

are you using the right blender version? do you have only one lab installed?

Take a look to this discussion: Blender Internal got removed

Aye thats true, I cant wait to use Eevee though.

Daedalus_MDW thanks for the quick reply!

Iā€™m using Blender 2.79 and MBL version 1.61 and it is the only lab I have added.

P.S. Iā€™m a wiki dev for the unofficial TronXY 3D printer wiki and discord server. Do you guys want me to ask the owner for a MBL channel for text chat and voice? If youā€™re into it? MBL is really impressive software.

P.S. Iā€™d happily use a work around if you can suggest one? I want to 3d print an accurately-proportioned figure of myself.

show some screenshots. last i heard the measures are an experimental feature. they seem to read correctly in 1.6.0.

not sure about 1.6.1. i havent spent much time with it since 1.6.0 is the version im using for my current project.

mbl_shader.blend (596.7 KB)

here is a highly simplified skin shader i use for fast previewing in the BI, BGE or cycles enigines.

this is released as CC0 and come with no support or warranty.

oh, and did i mention its optimized for a linear color space? its going to need tweaking to get looking good with srgb or filmic.

@Daedalus_MDW thanks for your input.

I tried scaling down all my body measures to 75%. So I can now get one parameter right at a time. I have come to the conclusion from testing and the documentation about how the models are built that the body Iā€™m making is ā€œextremeā€ and would break the relationship between the different parameters to make a smooth model. I can still use the lab to make the head/face and the hands/feet. Here is a screenshot of what I mean.

I tried to change the setting to 32bit, as shown in your link, but this didnā€™t help (it was on auto before). I also selected ā€œKeep Quadsā€, but I didnā€™t see any difference after that. Playing with the other options there also didnā€™t work :confused:

I would like to show an update to FACSvatar which can in real-time animate MB characters using OpenFace 2.0:

The current code is usable, but I would recommend to wait until August/September. Thatā€™s the deadline of my master thesis, and Iā€™ll make sure all the code is cleaned-up and properly documented + instructions on how to contribute to this project.
Open Source code: https://github.com/NumesSanguis/FACSvatar
Homepage: https://surafusoft.eu/facsvatar/

2 Likes

I scheduled to release an improved version of the measure system (easier to use and without strict constraints between body measures) in lab 1.7.0. It will be possible because 1.7.0 will use a different production pipeline. There is a lot of modelling work to do for it, so it will require some months to be released.

1 Like

Great work!