Manuel Bastioni Lab, turns Blender in a laboratory for 3d humanoids creation

add-ons

(fBlah) #1501

Hi mzproz, the quick instructions are as follows:
Link to instructions

As for the retargeting process. It actually took me several weeks to get it done with several reiterations till I got something acceptable.
Can you list out the requirements you need me to address and I will try to make a tutorial or a series trying to address the same and the pipeline I’m following sometime soon… I haven’t made a tutorial video before and will need to get a microphone.

(mzprox) #1502

Thanks for he instructions. I’m quite familiar by now how to do retargets within ue4 for any skeletons and I saw many tutorials in that subject.
I also made a quick test some time ago with the MBlab characters and they worked fine with the basic mannequin animations, though they also had some problems which must be coming for the different bone structure/weightpaint solutions. This might have changed in since then…
However I never got to the part to set up physics on the characters and use the imported shapekeys (I also had some problem importing them). These are not MBlab specific things though.

(CYNIC78) #1503

Best part of MB rigs is muscle system. Though it uses bendy bones and I am not sure if UE or Unity supports bendy bones.

(fBlah) #1504

I used these reference videos while creating my physics asset:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1avvVfvK-nc it starts some 20 mins in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10j4jn4VXxA
The other video series is for an older version of UE but gives a better idea about designing constraints for limbs. I designed one half of my character then copied the values to the other half. You might have to mirror some of the copied values in case they dont show up right. In that case you just have to give the corresponding axis a negative value.
I followed this to work with morph targets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wWGaJL_Q_8
You can control the morph targets either through blueprints or animation curves
This is what i followed for doing the cloth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjOq8OB_3AQ
You can get several cloth profiles from the content examples provided by epic.

I will let you know once I post some good tutorials. I haven’t added anything to my youtube channel yet but you can have a look there from time to time.

If you need to mirror animations in real-time for ue4 check out my plugin

If you need to copy shape keys like the breathing chest to clothes or face movements to moustache… please check this
I do not know how creating plugins/addons for blender works yet. Will make it a button or something in the UI when I find out… Just change the src_name and dest_name to your mesh names and run the script. It works!

EDIT: Please see this! I hope you find this very useful:
UE4 ManuealBastioni Lab Character Study

(Manuel) #1505

The new expression system will be based mainly on rigging, in order to be independent from topology. See the “Face rigging and shapekeys” part on this article: http://www.manuelbastioni.com/wip_170003_new_models_gui_and_expressions.php

(CYNIC78) #1506

This is great. I like new topology and textures for models. Much more realistic than previous. Will be textures HI res? It would be cool to have separate textures for body and head like in daz models (or maby - head, body, limbs). If one need to pack all parts in single texture (optimising system resources for real time rendering) it could be easily done with default blender UV editor. And those who needs close views (for example in his movie or static render) will get nice HI res image. Higher quality is always better. Anyway your project become really solid it can compete with “monster” DAZ products. And greatest part ManuelBastioni lab is FREE! You guys are real heroes! :slight_smile:

(Manuel) #1507

Yes. You can see a preview of results in the video that I linked some posts ago (August, 29).

(bork) #1508

True - though I tend to struggle with MBL and real life reference images when the desired placement of facial features fall beyond the ranges available within each parameter in MBL. For example, a lot of reference images I have used require a large forehead size that is unattainable within MBL without having to compensate by compressing the Head_SizeZ to avoid a comically large head.

This can be fixed after model generation I suppose, but I want to get as close as possible within MBL first. It would be fantastic if software could figure out how to proportion each parameter within the limits to match a reference image, rather than fighting against the sliders!

(Manuel) #1509

This sounds like a problem about the area of influence of the morph, not related to the range of values. The new characters in version 1.7 will have a new morph library modeled from scratch. It will improve and expand the current library with new parameters, with the aim to cover most of cases.

(melvi) #1510

Again :- )
My newest work with MLAB. Thanks Manuel :- )
Used Blender 2.8 eevee for rendering this time. I used the Meta rig for MLAB by Daniel Enger as well:

(LordReyli) #1511

Hello everyone, is there any way to pose a Manuel Bastioni Lab character and export both the mesh and posed amateur to Marvelous Designer?. I’ve tried exporting as a collada but the amateur pose is lost even though I manage to get the mesh deformed properly via applying modifiers just before export.
Here are some pictures of what I’m saying.

(NatalieMcCormick) #1512

Hello.
After installing blender 2.79b (latest version), I succeeded in registering manuelbastionilab_161a.zip as an add-on.
However, “manuelbastionilab” is not displayed in “Tool shelf” column.
I do not know what to do.
Could you advise everyone?
(I will attach a screenshot.)

(wildspidee) #1513

It has been awhile since I’ve used the Lab with MD, but I have some notes. First, you need to get rid of the Shape Keys while you are in Blender. Select ‘Join as Shapes’ and then delete all the Shape Keys.

You also have to apply the armature to get it to stick for MD. In Pose mode > Pose Menu > Apply Pose as Rest pose.

I was exporting as Collada out of Blender then importing into MD selecting the mm option. The character used to come in rotated face down on the floor in MD, however, today I did it and it was right side up. Perhaps Blender, LAB or MD has changed something ??

I’m using Blender 2.79b, MD 7.5, LAB 1.6.1a. Hope that helps.

(wildspidee) #1514

Something very strange is happening with my LAB characters. I use the characters in MD and I don’t want the protruding nipples. In the past, I’ve used Blender to flatten them before exporting to MD.

I use the Creation Tools to select a type (F-AS01, as an example). I selected Cycles and Portrait lights (not IK or Muscles), then Initialize the Character. It looks fine unless you try to edit it. I switch to Edit mode, grab a vertex and move it. The vertex doesn’t move but the manipulator does. If you switch back to Object mode, the vertex has moved.

I tried restarting things and that didn’t help. I was able to reproduce this consistently, not once has it worked properly. I created a cube and I can edit that and see the edits in Edit mode, so I think this is a LAB problem?

I’m on Windows 10 Pro 1803, Blender 2.79b, LAB 1.61a.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

(NatalieMcCormick) #1515

We will report on this issue as resolved.
When using “blender 2.78 (64 bit)” “manuelbastionilab - 161 a” was displayed in the column.
I will do the operation from now, but at that time I may report again.