mapping tests

it’s not really a work in progress but i didn’t find a better place to post it. what i tried is simply for testing purpose to stomp out of a square a kind of pilar (which is why it looks crappy) which i plastered quickly with a texture that ran across my fingers just in time (not matching just for testing as it shows stretching quickly).

now the typical way games texture such ‘terrain’ uneveness is using top-down projection. the left image has this. the typical problem there is stretching on the top. on the right side i did a separate uv-mapping and fiddled with the coordinates. the outmost vertices still form a square and hence would allow to continue on a projected plane.

now this here is more a kind of question. what ways are there to texture such a terrain like hill or pilar if you need to have the coordinates of the outmost vertices to me square in size (in uv-coordinates) to allow you to continue a terrain? or rather, how you do terrain the best in blender? this is what i came up with but it doesn’t really please me.

Attachments

I am not a blender terrain expert but I do know that games will tile a texture on the surface. They then use other objects to break up the monotony. This helps cover large areas and minimizes the stretching effect. Also a game will usually not have peaks like this in a continuously mapped surface for just that reason. If the terrain requires a cliff or a peak like that, it would be divided up into different objects and either assigned a different texture or UV mapped accordingly.

Basically my suggestion would be to have the smooth terrain floor and then a seperate object that is UV mapped for your peaks. If needed use something to hide the connection between the floor and peak like grass or other plants. In a game these plants would be billboard objects that are strategically placed.

unfortunatly one of my main points is that my terrain is fully 3d, meaning hang-overs, caves and what not else made with only terrain stuff. thought about using blender for some terrain part but the integrated projection mechanismes look rather odd. that’s why i asked how people do such things in blender with the provided mapping.