Mapping text onto a face

Hi there, I’m fairly new to Blender, but find I’m picking it up fairly quickly, and having a good bit of fun with it, I’m just lacking a bit of knowledge in what features are available. Anyway, one thing I’m a bit stuck on: I would like to add text to the faces of an object. I have the object, and can create text no problem, however the object (a dodecahedron - D12) has faces at odd angles. I could place the text and move and rotate it until it is where it should be, but that would be hard to get right. Is there a nice way to make blender lay the text on the face, or something like that? If possible, I would like to join them so that the text indents the surface of the object.

What would be good ways of doing this kind of thing? (Multiple suggestions more than welcome, that way I find out more :slight_smile:

Cheers.

Sounds like it would be easier if you just use an image texture for your text…

You should probably read up on UV mapping, a technique with which you can generate an image texture with all the 12 faces of the dice clearly outlined. Then draw the texture and use the same image as a grayscale bumpmap (nor channel) to create the indents.

Technically, it is possible to manually exactly align the numbers on the dice’s faces, convert the text objects to meshes and create a “real” numbered dice, but that would be too much of a hassle.