March of the Tin Soldiers Tutorial

I need to get some feedback on my first tutorial. I want to know if its easy to understand and good enough to post to the blender world…or should I keep my job at Walmart…Its for newbies…I used a particle system to create the group of soldiers. This is just the very first part. I’m not sure how to post a link to Youtube…

http://youtu.be/psIVzAw7Fc8

maybe that worked…

Go ahead and comment please…I can take it…you cant hurt me…and thanks again…

J M Ingmann

Attachments

Alright people…I have had fifty views and not one comment…I try and be funny when I do this…Lets see…what is the ratio if you dont produce a wow, that is so goooood animation…it took me four weeks to try an add a tutorial that is at least pleasing to the ear…if nothing else. Thanks to Andrew Price, because I can’t stand listening to any other tutorials…they may be good, but the presentation is bad to say the least…why are there not more really good animation newbe tutorials? They are just not out there…I hope to get some comments soon…remember the little people…you were once one too…XXOOXXOO JM

video was good, overall a nice beginners tutorial. keep it up. my main advice is to just enjoy doing it, make sure you do your research in advance. (which clearly you have ) and dont worry about feed back. your viewers will tell you quick enough if they don’t understand anything!

oh and don’t quit your job at walmart just yet, it will take some time before the google money starts to come in (if ever)!

Thanks Small Troll…that means a lot. I realize I wont get a lot of comments here because people don’t want to sit through a 35 minute tutorial. I really don’t work at Walmart…just trying to be funny…I never thought I’d be able to put out a tutorial. Well, I’ve reached a small goal anyway. I think If I ever want to capture anyones attention, I need to do something completely different. Anyway…Thanks again…You are the Man!!! ummm…the Troll!

OK, first tutorial. You have some work to do.

I didn’t watch the whole thing. I watched the first four minutes, while you explained a few things about adding a cylinder (during which you seemed unsure how your defaults were changed for cylinder segments), about the use of the 3D Cursor, a bit about snapping (where you didn’t mention the hot key!) and you mentioned the axes on the grid, pointing to the xyz orientation icon in the corner of the viewport, partly obscured by the mouse click display…

Then I jumped ahead to see how you were going to get to marching soldiers (particle system, animation… and what about that fancy set with the cloth on the bed and the glass fishbowl in the window?) and discovered in forty minutes of video you managed to produce the body of the soldier and outfit him with a UV mapped jacket. Partial jacket… no sleeves.

You seem to be making this tutorial for an audience of one: yourself. At the rate you’re going, this will wind up being a five hour production, (maybe more, depending on that fancy set…) and no one but an earlier incarnation of yourself will sit through it all, much less learn anything from it.

You need to focus.

In the first place, focus on what you want to teach. What is this tutorial about? According to the title, it is about marching tin soldiers, which is currently false advertising, because what you are demonstrating is modeling and uv mapping, not animation, or particle systems, which was mentioned in the intro.

Good tutorials focus on one or two things.

Once you have decided what you want to teach, figure out who your audience is. There is a reason tutorials are categorized as beginner, intermediate and advanced. Someone who is far enough along in Blender to want to try out particle systems will not want to sit through a long explanation of stuff he already knows to get to the “good stuff.” If you intend to teach particle systems, your audience is intermediate to advanced users, and your first segment is wasted on them. Completely wasted. In addition, if you force an intermediate user to sit through 40 minutes of modeling and texturing when you promised particle systems, there is little chance that they will return for part 2, 3, 4, etc. You need to do some serious thinking about who will benefit from what you want to teach, and what they already know.

If you intend to teach rank beginners who know nothing, teach beginning subjects. Particle systems and animation are not beginning subjects.

You have a kick-ass 20 second animation in your trailer. You are justifiably proud of it, and want to share the making of it with the world. I understand that, but making a tutorial is not the way to go about it.

Step away from the screen recorder for a bit. Open up your favorite word processor and make a list: everything some one would need to know to create the March of the Tin Soldiers animation. It will be a long list, or you are not doing it right. Then categorize the list two ways: function, and level.

By function I mean, modeling, texturing, uv mapping, navigating the interface, etc. By level: complete newbie, beginner, intermediate, advanced.

(Maybe you should use a spread sheet for this so you can sort it)

Anyway, once you’re done (and you will constantly find things to add to the list once you return to working on a tutorial) group the list into chucks that both hang together, and can be covered, by you, in your style, in about 15 to 20 minutes. If you want to cover everything involved in making your animation, make a lot of groups and write yourself up a road map: how you are going to get your target audience from where you assume they start, to completing the animation.

Well, I could say a lot more, but you have enough to keep you busy for a while.

Decide what you want to teach

Decide who you want to teach

Make a list of things you need to teach, so that who you want to teach will learn what you want to teach.

Later, dude. :wink:

I discovered the same things you did in my first tutorial. How the &%$# am I going to do the whole thing in 30 min or less. At the rate I was going, the tutorial would be 19.8 hours long. But you learn by doing and listening to others. That’s why I appreciate all the time you took replying. Theres no way to teach this whole thing to a newbie or anyone else within a 30 min or hour time slot. I agree with everything you have said. I will pull this from youtube after a couple of days. I only put it there to get advice on what to work on. Thanks Orinoco. Your input is priceless. Next one will be better. (Or I’m going to blame you…) Your checks in the mail…