Marine (Starcraft 2)

Started with the leg parts because I feel they are easier and I really haven’t had much experience with subsurfing before (a few tries though)…
The references are THIS page (clay renders as well as some orthographic renders with textures), along with shots from the trailer.
I’ll be trying to make it resemble blizzard’s model very accurately, mostly because I’ve always feared UV-maps and character modeling… guess it’s time to change this :slight_smile:
Anyways, I guess the feet are halfway done - the back part needs to be done, a couple of things on the front part and… those damn servos… I guess I’ll need to learn armature for them as well :slight_smile:
Anyways, two renders and a wireframe shot here…
C&C welcome on everything, got nothing vs. harsh criticism :slight_smile:

Attachments

From the reference page you gave, its gonna be quite a challenge. :slight_smile: Wish you all the luck,

THIS IS GONNA BE AWESOME!! i always had wanted to make a marine, but never could find good reference picks or the time. now it looks like your going to be making a high detailed model just the way I would have made mine :smiley: and it looks fantastic so far :slight_smile:

Off to a good start. If you need some help I think quite a few of the techniques shown in the Creature Factory DVD would help out.

Well the challenge is the point :slight_smile:
After all I can’t get a shot at working for blizzard if my skill isn’t at least at that level :smiley:

THIS IS GONNA BE AWESOME!! i always had wanted to make a marine, but never could find good reference picks or the time. now it looks like your going to be making a high detailed model just the way I would have made mine :smiley: and it looks fantastic so far :slight_smile:
I’ll be trying to make the high-detail model :wink:
Those pipes are still killing me… Not the hydraulics ones - they actually are gonna be pretty fun if everything goes as expected…
P.S. Your avatar rocks :wink:
Greetz to fellow HL fan :slight_smile:

Off to a good start. If you need some help I think quite a few of the techniques shown in the Creature Factory DVD would help out.

Thanks for the hints :slight_smile: I’ll get the DVD if things go really wrong (seems like it’s gonna be so… damn topology :slight_smile: )

Anyways, did very little on the model, partially finished lower leg part (having problems with the topology as the plan is to make those lines with edge loop and scaling… which means perfectly adjusted topology :S ), also some adjustments to scale and overall shape. Gonna update with pics once the legs are finished… hopefully soon but just picked up colin mcrae 2 again :slight_smile:

Looks like you decided to Boot this project (insert laugh here) - I like it. Looks VERY clean. Keep at it and give updates frequently. I’m sure this could be a wonderful turnout.

High fives for HL XP I can’t wait for an update, I’ve got this thread subscribed to instant email notification :smiley:

A small update since you wanted it :slight_smile: (check below)

[quote]High fives for HL XP I can’t wait for an update, I’ve got this thread subscribed to instant email notification :smiley:
All right, there you go then :smiley:

I think I need to redo one of the frontal lines, otherwise I think it’s kinda fine…
Still gotta do the grill-like thing on the back plus well… two parts for the lower leg and I think I’m done with it :slight_smile:

EDIT: Just noticed a minor problem, will fix ASAP…
Check the geometry inside the circle… edge loop leftover :slight_smile:

EDIT 2:
Updated the renders just a bit, MINOR fixes.

Attachments

looking smexy :wink: it really is looking great so far! and im sure loop cuts are your best friend

Comming up grate bro. Waiting for your next update :slight_smile:

Looks great :slight_smile: I was gonna say at the beginning that I hope you put all the little extrusions on but you already have which is great. This is going to be a great model I think, very clean and planned.

Looks alot like something out of Warhammer 40K. Keep it up.

Thanks a lot everybody :slight_smile:
Just woke up so no updates for now…

Looks great :slight_smile: I was gonna say at the beginning that I hope you put all the little extrusions on but you already have which is great. This is going to be a great model I think, very clean and planned.

Looks alot like something out of Warhammer 40K. Keep it up.

Still got some more details to do actually… As for the warhammer stuff - starcraft is HEAVILY inspired by it anyways :slight_smile: Looks more high-tech than mythical but it is :slight_smile:

Did almost nothing… Three new parts to be precise. What needs to be done on that part of the leg is the upper hydraulics guard and… I guess some finishing touches… Still Flatout turned up to be quite fun plus a bo3 broodwar tournament :slight_smile: :smiley:

Attachments

Looks pretty sweet.

this is inspiring!! It looks like what I like to do (subsurf modeling with lots of details) but like waaay better, I’m gonna have a work in progress soonish for my new project which is basically a brute hammer chietain from halo 3, just without the brute and a more human creature instead :smiley: