Maritime World of Blender part 4

Available downloads at the the present time of posting.
23 March 2019

01 Isle of Man. Full island 32 miles
02 Annan and Solway Firth
03 Silloth and Solway Firth
04 MaryPort and Solway Firth.
05 Workington, Harrington, Whitehaven. The 3 harbours are in the one route called Workington.
06 Ravenglass,No harbour on internet. added pier, 2 drive schooners, with main and jib,2 mainsails.

available downloads at the the present time of posting.
23 March 2019

01 Isle of Man. Full island 32 miles
02 Annan and Solway Firth
03 Silloth and Solway Firth
04 MaryPort and Solway Firth.
05 Workington, Harrington, Whitehaven. The 3 harbours are in the one route called Workington.
06 Ravenglass,No harbour on internet. added pier, 2 drive schooners, with main and jib,2 mainsails.
07 Barrow in Furness, basic. Stone quays placed at Roa Island, before the large shipyards and docks developed- long wood jetty at Millon. Single drivable schooner tfgh.
That make 7 so will probably leave these online for download for a while before considering the next routes.

Barry

Time for a lengthy pause in route making.

B

The reason for the stops and starts is I come to a full stop with these routes, as the only solitary mariner on these forums as far as I know. That is my excuse anyway (smile) !

However a bit more that that as trying the larger routes as 40km. These work out OK as double decimate the terrain. Then make the river by subdividing first along the rivers. Colours mainly a few merged colours with emphasis of yellow for sand using 3DEM. As main areas are the harbours use photo grass around river and harbour.

I will need to start on the basic routes first , then updates slowly while the software works OK. The first route off each seven routes I will add content to. I will include drivable boats. With travel between harbour, I will forget that idea as they need or run for an hour or so and Bender might get the ‘hiccups’, but keep the preset routes to within harbours and along rivers.

For ships I have the sailing-flats, schooner, also now converted the schooner to make a sloop. Will keep this for ‘pretend’ fishing set to ‘always’.

I have forgotton how to make the 1st and last setting identical
in the timeline. Set to always, loop end. Runs fine except a bit of a jump when starting the always route. I need to expand the timeline for a 5-to 10 minute or so pause at the quays.

Silloth in 40 km route plus Annan

Barry

–

Start again Solway Firth on-line appox. 40km.
The next 6 at approx. 40km square will be basic,probably terrain, sea, one ship and liitle else.
After this route 8 will have more content then the 6 before.
Gradually by this method I build up a stock for myself and also those routes that have reasonable content will be very gradually increase on-line. B

i thought the camera move, forward and back, was too fast, and its turn side to side was too slow.
being a blend file, i opened the game control panel and reset the pertinent values. not a problem. but now, whenever i hit play, all of the contact bounderies, i forget the term, are outlined (in color coded lines even). no idea what i did to cause this, nor how to turn it off.

(took a couple of run throughs to get comfortable with the boat handling controls, but i’m fine with that being for a game how it should be)

(if it were me, i’d have used mouselook for the camera and the cursor pad for the ship, but that’s just me. love your work, and the ships have just enough detail to look good without weighing down frame rate. would have liked to see some detail, not too much, and could be with just a texture, in the landscape)

sounds like physics visualization is turned on. its in the render properties next to the debugs and mouse cursor vis

thanks. sounds like what i was looking for.

Thanks for the comments but the only restriction I have on the downloads is that they must not be used for commercial gain. So you are welcome to alter whatever you wish but would then would appreiate you making a screenshot as it would make it more interesting for me.

I have made literally dozens of these routes and there is usually a reason for the way I make them.
I have take about 7 offline of the smaller versions and changing to large size around 40 km.

I tried the camera with small focal length for turning area.
Camera speeds I have tried many different speeds. Same with the logic brick settings for boat speeds.

Reset collision box on boat in edit mode and move boat up and down to suit the waterline you want to rest on.A collision box I around the complete sea… and so on.

I will start setting the smaller sloop to always so that will start when the route starts.

I have fogotten the seting for making the first and last ‘always’ setting the same in timeline. Was it on the graph editor?

Still undecided about route size as up to 20km is easiest to work with, up to 40 more difficult but covers a lot of coastline.

I will put the 7 back online. today and/or tomorrow all being well.

Barry

Put Isle of Man back online. Downloads changed to Routes page, about 20 meg. very large route about 32 miles length. Only added Douglas harbour so far as difficult to make.

Because of size only added single sailing-flat, wasd, Height of roaming camera increasd to 100 m , from 30 m height.

6 more routes to upload, probably over next few days.
Possibly add mini-screnshots pages with details, descripition, at about 4 routes each page

B

Annan with Solway back online. This is the 20 km square route approx. not the larger Annan with Silloth 40 km route.

2 preset routes, 2 drivable sailing flats. You will need to follow along the Solway Firth to find the jetty on the river Eden on upper reaches of Solway Firth to find one of the Sailing flats.
Details on my site. Next will see if I can alter the 20 km Silloth route a bit before uploading. Maybe today.

B

Silloth with scenario.

A scenario in for these simulations is a ‘game’ which you control within the 20 km or so routes. There is no limit or type that you could make relating to maritime…including shipwrecks.

keyboard key 1 opens dock gate.
3 drivable sailing flats. wasd, tfgh. ijkl
Sailing flat has run aground and half sunk.

Rescue crewman Scenario.
The only boat of the 3 that can recue him is in the corner of the dock, tfgh.
Unfortunately this vessel appears locked in by the surrounding vessels.
skillful sailing though could maybe push barges out of the way,
Alternatively sail the first two sailing boats out, then reverse the corner boat and sail out.

I wonder how the barges made it difficult for the rescue sailing flat to rescue the crewman (smile).

Barry

Next in line, following along the coastline is Maryport. I will see if I can put it on-line tomorrow. Also included a scenario, the reverse of the previous one as it is to carry a cargo of barrels around to the adjacent dock. I will give it a test run to see if there are any problems.

After this post maybe then see if any response, rather than listing each and every route on these forums. The details of the available downloads etc are on my site with mini-screenshots, etc.
The scene shows the drivable schooner ‘carrying’ the cargo around to the adjacent dock.
Included the scenarios as useful for me to referback to the settings.

B

03 Maryport on line with scenario deliver cargo, makes 4 online. Will probably keep from 5 to 10 online varying routes.

Please refer to website for available downloads and descriptions etc. Will check the forum from time to time for discussion, queries, etc. (Critique not required). Don’t forget the invisible collision box goes completely around all of the the schooner, including sails, masts and bowsprti, so maybe best to manoever gently, or the ship might make a somersault or two (smile). Deliver cargo to second dock middle of left hand side near middle bollard. Open dock gates keys 1 and 3

Thanks

B

Just checking as as there was a ‘hiccup’ on UKTS forum due to putting clocks on a hour. See if this post is OK. Working fine. B

Time to change to steam-ships if I can sort out how to make them. Needs seperate parts maybe to make a variety.
Same with docks.

So large routes from now on and will build up a sequence.
I would still like to follow along the Scottish coastline evntually.
If I make them available for download they will be very basic as more important making the terrain first, so they will be terrain, sea and estuaries, I will make rivers later, texture, harbours,etc all very much later.

I have no interest in reading any Critique as they are not games but simulations and I have no time for reading critiques.

As a minor point I won’t be making further scenarios . Hopefully I can set up some ship movement between ports much later. So about mid 19th cenury to mid 20th century and keep well clear of the container ship era. If online I will rotate them.

B

I will be removing the 4 routes currently on line, probabaly later today. Changing to larger size route up to about 45 km.

These routes are basic as they will have no ships, no harbours or docks, no trees, no vegetaton, no buildings.

They wil have terrain adjusted with decimate function and seabed replaced with flat sheet of 4 vertices. Based on srtm2 /hgt satellite data. No rivers as I have to make them by following along the course of a rivers and lowering the terrain.

Texture plain merged colours with 3DEM, so any critique will be useless!. Roaming camera added. Animated water sheet added, rising and falling a meter or so to simulate wave swell.

Details are on my site and these routes will be available for download. They start from remade basic Isle of Man and then over to the Solway Firth as before, following the coastline south towards the south coast.

So if you want them, download them as they become available as will have to rotate them and I won’t be putting them back online for a long time.

Basically I am trying to build up a framework of routes to update at a much later date. Have reached the Thames Estuary previously but deleted them a long time ago but know how to handle version 2.79b a bit better now.

Also trying to change to the era of steamships so about mid Victorian reign mid 19th cenury to about mid 20th century. Also will have to learn how to make basic steamships.(smile)
Maybe start with the schooner if I can make a rotating paddle wheel and stick a funnel on the ship, as the early steam-ships were paddle steamers and part sail combined.

B

As the solitary maritime route maker on these forums theBasic route making is proceeding nicely around the coastline with basic routes as explained.

When I reach ten I might put the 10 online then add/remove one or a few (theoretically) each few days. Wales next route 8. This way they should be on line for about 2 weeks as they shunt along. I might add a sailing flat to each temporarily, so at least you can explore the coastline.

The ones added will either be new or update (regarding updates a single route might have numerous updates small updates), so routes numbered in sequence but downloads will not be in numerical order…
I should stress I do not want any critique whatsoever.
They are not games .
Discussion and queries are fine as I have mentioned before.

B

Should anybody be interested in simulations which should be perhaps the backbone of Blender, perhaps they could post. Carcassone was interesting!

P.S. Almost up to Bristol Channel
B

Trimmed this post to the essentials and deleted the rest.

Reached basic Route 20 up to Swansea and continuing down to Lands End.

I was going to extend the sequence around to the Thames estuary, but I think the terrain is too low lying to create it satisfactorily using srtm2/hgt, so dropped that idea.

Routes will be Solway Firth to Lands End and probably the Scilly Islands .

When completed, I will also have the option to carry on north along the Scottish coast from where I started at the Solway Firth, (maybe) then along the Islands of the West Coast of Scotland to John o’ Groats.

Will keep to sailing vessels, the sailing-flat, sloop single mast and Schoner 2 masts or more. Era pretend maybe up to about 1825

The idea I had of a later era for steamships is a no go,

B

Decided to cancel this post.
Site back online for now see side panel.
7 routes.

P.S. I might change the above information. Depends on ISP if it changes to rolling monthly contract after a year and not repeating yearly in blocks, then won’t matter to keep it running.

Thanks

Barry