Mark mesh before LSCM

Hey… I have a mesh that needs painting around certain objects, but I can’t figure out how to mark the coordinates so that the UV mapping lines up with the other objects. Combining the meshes would make a horrible mess. Has anyone else come across this problem??? Please…???

http://seaburn.org/images/prtlights.jpg

With this sort of thing, you’re better off just eyeballing it, with your object in one window and the UV editor in another.

BTW, that’s a cool ship you got there. :slight_smile:

Thanks for answering… it’s tough to figure some of this stuff out on your own.

I’m thinking I might be able to mark seams around the polys the areas I wanted textured with UV and then mapping to those directly so that I can see what’s going on better.

Right now I am in the middle of a three day test render on the first image in the series so I am using my backup system to work on the next shot. I’ll try to get the texturing right and then composite what I miss in the next render.

Thanks, again for responding… and the compliment :smiley:

Don’t forget that you can mix different types of texture mappings. You could for example uv map the ship with one texture and then add decals for the ships name, markings on the smokestacks etc.

GreyBeard

You can also assign those areas (portholes?) a seperate Vertex Group, then you can select the VertGroup of the hull in edit mode, hit ‘Select’, go into Face mode and only that group is projected (light pink).

%<

Thanks GreyBeard… I’ll remember about the multiple texture maps, thought the only marking is a plaque on the bow… BTW your video tuts got me started in this whole thing… thanks a double bunch :smiley:

Flight %, great, great advise I wouldn’t have thought of that on my own. That will definitely be in use in this project. Also I noticed your avitar… not a CG I’ve seen it before a truck lifted with the tree’s growing, somewhere in Oregon I think?

Is that true?