Market research

Perhaps we could do a little free market research for NaN:

1. How much would you pay for Creator?

2. How/what would you expect to be delivered?
    (e.g. Manuals and CD, just CD…buy manual seperately…etc.)

3. How much would you pay for a full version number upgrade?

4. How much should just Publisher plug-in cost?

My answers are:

1. $100-$200 USD
  2. I’d like to see price include manual or tutorial doc. Which ever not included could be purchased seperately.
  3. Assumming significant enhancements:$25-$50.
  4. Don’t know enough about it?

> 1) How much would you pay for Creator?

50-70 us $

> 2) How/what would you expect to be delivered?
> (e.g. Manuals and CD, just CD…buy manual
> seperately…etc.)

CD-ROM with materials and html tutorials, latest “stable feature set” version and b/w 100-300 page manual

> 3) How much would you pay for a full version
> number upgrade?

30-50 us $

> 4) How much should just Publisher plug-in cost?

plugin - free,
publish development tools - another 50-70 $

.xype

1. $200 per computer if there where a clear roadmap which I could agree with

2. CD with test material of all the cool features, and pdf’s of all new features (like the NLA etc)

3. $100 once a year per computer

4. For commercial usage (like it is now) $100 per computer

5. How much should just Publisher plug-in cost?

It might still be possible to have the free version for trial purposes and non-commercial usage which would run about 6months to 1 year behind the payed version.

>1) How much would you pay for Creator?

If it were a signifigant improvment over 2.23 and was being developed consistintly in a direction that I found usefull (ie, better renderer, improvment to character animation tools, more effecient interface, network rendering and a sane extension API) arouund 150$ - 250$ US.

> 2) How/what would you expect to be >delivered? (e.g. Manuals and CD, just >CD…buy manual seperately…etc.)

Your basic shrinkwrapped box with cd is a good starting point. The manual should without question be included. I really think any other way of doing bussiness is kind of backwards and goes against what customers expect. The CD should also include example files and models, and html tutorials like xype said.

> 3) How much would you pay for a full version number upgrade?

if it was in fact a signifigant upgrade, then around 50-75$

> 4) How much should just Publisher plug-in cost?

I assume you mean the ability to publish interactive content. not interested.

1. 100 - 200$
  2. Manual + CD,
    3)75$, assuming it was really useful. 2.12-2.14, yes; 2.22 to 2.23, no
    4)Dosen’t matter to me, I’ll never use it.
  1. $100.
  2. CD only, as long as it includes a PDF of the manual.
  3. $100.
  4. $50.

At the state Blender’s real-time 3D capabilities are in (e.g. no full 3D support, at least on my system it’s sluggish), and the lack of total control over the engine, I doubt Publisher is worth a steep purchase price.

i don’t mind paying for the creator…but still a better idea would be to keep it free…and we would do some development of the community or write some plugins or scripts. in other words we would pay by our jobs.actually we should show the world that some of the best things of our lives are still free.may be we can sale the games or the models or short animations on the net. the total community have to work together to achieve that.

1. $100
  2. CD with the versions for all OS-s + printed manual + some example files/tutorials on the CD
  3. If it’s a really big release, around $50
  4. Not interested in that

I agree with the previous post, I just edit it in euro style, so it’s a bit cheaper :stuck_out_tongue:

1. 100 €
  2. CD with the versions for all OS-s + printed manual + some example files/tutorials on the CD
  3. If it’s a really big release, around €50
  4. Not interested in that

Creator: $100 to $150 - 1 computer
Publisher: $200 to $300 - 1 computer

1. How/what would you expect to be delivered?

Creator: nothing
Publisher: Printed Manual or Getting Started Guide

1. How much would you pay for a full version number upgrade?

Creator: $25 to $50
Publisher: $100 to $150

• as long as the feature updates were worth it/ plugins might be the way to go sorta like Strata3D products
  1. How much should just Publisher plug-in cost?
    See answer 1

$200 for Creator
$300 for Publisher

$10.95 for a large pizza

A thought:

I posted my reply above after unwittingly glancing at other people’s responses, which essentially means that I was influenced by other people.

Maybe a closed poll would be more accurate. This is an excellent idea, mind you :slight_smile: but in terms of accuracy, whenever people make choices, they tend to follow what other people say.

So I’m a lemming. :slight_smile:

On 2002-03-26 11:13, kos wrote:
i don’t mind paying for the creator…but still a better idea would be to keep it free…and we would do some development of the community or write some plugins or scripts. in other words we would pay by our jobs.actually we should show the world that some of the best things of our lives are still free.may be we can sale the games or the models or short animations on the net. the total community have to work together to achieve that.

Sounds like communism: Good idea, won’t work :). sorry. I bet the community would get all excited for about 2 weeks and then someone would realize that they didn’t have to do their little part, and they could still get a free blender… then someone else would realize it… then someone else… and then Nan would go bankrupt again. :frowning:

answers:

1. $50-$75 (per computer) if nothing included, $100-$150 if stuff is included, depending on what it is…
  2. CD with examples and/or a PDF tutorial guide(s).
  3. Depending on release, $25-$60.
  4. i don’t know. never done any of the realtime 3d stuff.
  1. Creator: $100-$200
  2. Just a download ($300-$500 with texture CD, program CD, example files, printed manual (also on CD), tutorials)
  3. $20-$80, but they would have to release quite a few new features. The little upgrades/bug fixes should be free.
  4. I don’t care about makeing games. Never did, probably never will.

[quote]
On 2002-03-26 06:19, kevin3d wrote:
Perhaps we could do a little free market research for NaN:

Coming from a free software, $20-40 would be a big jump. But im willing.

A manual, and a tutorial CD with “getting started” and “advance features” Im not using this but people new to blender will.

10-15$ again, were talking about a once free software.

1. How much should just Publisher plug-in cost?

On my honest onpinon they should scrap this in favor of “plain old plugins”.

I like the things we python people write, and maybe some stuff we cant write, but include a big fat documentation on what they could do whith these stuff and some tutorials to boot for normal users. Ill pay 50$ - 75$ for a VERY good compilation.

1. prefer the free creator / pay for manual option so we could develop projects with volunteer teams who

2. would pay $50-$100 for a manual+CD, even if free version available for others to download online (similar to Linux distritbutions)

3. would be willing to buy above even if it was just 2.25 - mp3 support would be huge benefit

4. willing to pay several hundred for Publisher considering the above situation (lots of people downloading for free, organizing group [us] pays for Publisher to put out final projects)

combine creator and the publisher: $150.00

manual and CD (tuts, materials and scripts)

$50.00 a year for upgrades

Plug-in should come in the pkg.

dale:)
    20 - 40 Euro as it is, online. 100 - 200 in a box with all versions on cd and with a tutorial.

• The creator just in a box with a tutorial
  • the puplisher on cd in a box with advanced modelling-tools, tutorial, and matirials, objects, Scrips and PlugIns on cd.
    The price for a new licens. But with free updates. (A hope the new version is not every two month)

2. How much should just Publisher plug-in cost?
    200 - 300Euros (1PC) but with the stuff above

1. Price = $222-$322US for Blender Publisher including s-a player

2. Include = Box or Download: CD, manual, demo scenes

3. Upgrade = $65US

4. Plugins = $20US for exporters and generators

But I’ve got nothing against free.

jsplifer

Hummmm…
:o

1. Price = $200.00 or less but was about to buy it anyway at $300 before … you know

2. Include = simple manual- getting started guide

3. Upgrade = $50-75 yearly, not more than yearly

4. Plugins = depends on what they do, how easy they are to use, what I need.