Mask displacement map

Howdy. Long time, no post. :slight_smile:

So I’m working on a tecnique, but I’ve hit a brick wall. I have a displacement map (cloud gen texture), that’s mapped to an object (empty, animated over time), creating a nice noise across the object over time.

But I want to mask it (stencil, in other words), using another texture. It’s a simple texture, gradient(blend) mapped to the object normal on the Z axis.

So basically what I’m trying to do is limit the displacement to the sides of the mesh (sides, as defined as the camera view/angle).

I’ve set it all up the way I would think it should be done. In fact, if I apply the cloud texture as a color (col), it’s masked by the stencil texture above it, but the displacement effects EVERYTHING.

Any thoughts? Is this a bug? I just can’t seem to make it work…

Oh, and I’m not against using node materials. The problem I hit there is that I don’t know how to apply a texture as a displacement in a node setup. If someone can show me that, I have a node setup that should work. But it will need to have some sort of method to animate the cloud texture over time.

Thanks!

-Daniel

Your mesh may not be subdivided enough, check this out. I know who you are…

Attachments

Disp.blend (140 KB)

if you weight paint it you can get what you want, Red=displaced Blue= not displaced.

Yo Keith! Fancy meetin’ you here! :slight_smile:

You’re right, your example (when subsurfed) did stencil properly. It’s not a normal mask, but it proves stencil works. Now to try my stuff again… Thanks!

@Brados33 Static masking doesn’t work, because I need it to mask out the front (camera) facing part of the mesh. Thanks though. :slight_smile:

-Daniel

Daniel sorry I forgot to say to subdivide that cube I gave you before the disp would work. Also, the stencil maps, for the LONGEST time I knew what they did but they never worked for me, then I realized you hafta give it a colorband in the texture settings with a white alpha=1 and a black alpha=0. THEN do the stencil settings. :smiley: