Mass Muscle Rigging Project (Upd. March 8th. mini-animation')

ooooooooo mmmyyy word. goodness that is the greatest thing i have seen so far. i am totally all into using bone structure instead of shape keys and i think that this is spectacular. MORE MORE MORE!

whoa… holy shit a@_@p

Hey BlackBoe -

Coming along ridiculously well there. I’ve spent a lot of time in shape keys and while I think painting the face shapes for expressions is kinda fun, fixing the shapes for the shoulders and elbows was a real pain in the nether regions. Knees were less annoying.

I know writing a tutorial on the entire process would probably be a nightmare, but once you’re finished, perhaps a mini tut on say just the shoulder? People can probably get the general idea from there if they want to try this sort of thing, which I’m getting intrigued about myself…

Also, yeah I did mean ‘does the armature deform the mesh quickly’. Very positive to hear that it still does.

*Side note - Winamp didn’t play the mp4 video, Quicktime did if that helps anyone trying to watch, which I suggest you do… :slight_smile:

Ben.

Wow -You’ll be making a tutorial on all this right? -Maybe even a series of tutorials with all the work you’ve done.

Can you make another bigger animation?

A tutorial would be pretty nice, but I don’t think I’m going to fully rig all the bones of my body :wink: .

Woah! One of the more interesting wips I saw. Great effort indeed, and it seems to work really great.
At first I thought you were using just envelopes to deform the mesh, simulating a kind of muscles sistem engine (like, i.e., in “Shrek”), and actually this could be inspiration for such a feature to be coded… maybe. Also a script to build at least the base for such a complex rig in some automatic way could be really useful.
You’re using stretch constraint, arent’you? Did you find a way to refresh all of them at the same time? Or just select once at a time?

Very nice work, and realistic movements!

One small crit is on the shoulder. When the arm is brought forwards after it moving back (in the animation) it pushes in the chest and crumples. This doesnt happen with real arms, if the crease happens it occurs on the outside of the muscle (side furthest away from chest) not on the chest itself. The only other thing is you may want to make the lats (latissimus dorsi?) larger, they don’t go far down the back.

Sorry if that’s incoherent, I can draw what I mean if you want.

IanC:

1. You’re right.
  2. You’re right.

I’ve taken a break to practice painting, but I’ll line those up for revision when I’m done.

wow BlackBoe … make that WOW!

The last time I used armature in blender was in version 2.0
For a moment I wasn’t sure if it’s blender I’m looking at.

Love the poses and your rigging skills are top notch (compared to mine)

Whoo, you sent me the link to this this I was not expecting something of this magnitude, this undertaking, if you will. I am sorry I underestimated your prowess! I have to say that this is really an inspiration to me and that I will immediately pick up my animation tool-set and follow right along!

Critique now - Eight to nine seconds into the animation the finger deformation gets a little wacky, like the bone is in a wierd place or something.

Also - The deformation as the back of the upper leg meets the calf: what you have looks to be the back of the upper leg is caving in some around the calf. I think a local soft body would do it (like weight painting is done - just add a vertex group with the two groups and then push them through a softbody modifier… :stuck_out_tongue: I really have no idea what I’m talking about, do I?..).

Y’know. Its all your fault but I think I’m going to animate something… :o
Nice work, and keep it up.
-albert

hey blackboe…like others before me im gobsmacked! im really intrested to see how the muscles work, the screen shoots are great and the movie was a tease but i dnt think it did it all justice. could you make him do a handstand from standing up straight and then drop down to his feet again and post the vid? this my usual trick to stress a rig and see if it falls apart over. (im a 3ds max convert, and until recently max couldnt invert an IK chain, believe it or not. so making ur caracter do a hand stand or even bend down and pick something would spaz the whole rig out and break it. nice. how much r&d did max get???) also a handstand stresses all the limbs out ans strethces the abdomen and most parts so its a good skin weight test to.

please! :slight_smile:

you should do a good anim anyway, this is perfect for the features page on blender.org.

gd work man. really.

1 Like

Very impressive work BlackBoe ! :yes:

I agree with lostbear!

hmmm, i may be a little bit of a pain but i just wanted to say that the legs are wrong. go here, http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=renamon to get a good short video. it will help to get your renamon models legs correct.

Aha. The problem with that is that–I’ve noticed, in almost every single scene I’ve noticed, the figure is different, somehow. No way I’ll be checking that for anything. I have been revising the mesh and rigging set-up behind the scenes, trying to adjust for better average proportions, but, unfortunately, people who draw anime can’t draw anime.

:evilgrin: :evilgrin: Beautiful Job, I am extremely impressed. Only recently have I started to slightly dispel my fears of skinning and rigging, not that I haven’t tried in the past.
this is expecially excellent for your first rig! congrats~!
I agree, some pointers, or a small tut would be really appreciated.

Murphy :slight_smile:

I’m more a fan of simple rigs, but for muscles this is a very good option.

Is it just me and this old machine, or are all BlackBoe’s links gone? I can’t see any of them.

/ Mats

I can’t find them either.