Massive favour?

AVI raw is probably by far the worst file format for making extremely large file sizes. There is no reason why you should be using this format unless you know why you should be.

well i have rendered them all as avi raw for you but its just the upload thats taking time lol

I picked aviraw because the files are rather small, and my friend (who also animates, and has been helping with this too) had advised me to

Don’t want to be rude but I guess your friend needs to get rid of some bad habits. AVI raw is uncompressed video so large files, .png is lossless but can be compressed and if you have a render failure you have not completely wasted the last few hours of your rendering

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28892292/genericfantasy/0120-0156.avi

first done, other two still uploading

What do you recommend, then? Im open to any suggestions like… Just the quickest possible method :slight_smile:

And bacon_chaney, wow that was so quick ..
They arent the only 3 though, im uploading a few more now… I’ll probably be doing this for a while, its not even halfway through rendering this next one for me… ive got 35 scenes, and ive only animated 10, and 6 of them have characters im not done making ;
;

Thank you so much, but it appears the textures havent come out at all… any idea what the issue is? Do I need to upload like a full file, with textures and all?

As far as the rendering goes, I’d recommend you render not as a movie, but as PNG still images. Not only is it easier to go back and rerender a single failed frame (as opposed to losing the whole lot as earlier stated by bacon_chaney in post#14) it takes very little time to put these back into the Blender Video Sequence Editor or any other movie editor as an “image sequence” and you can then change them to any kind of AVI, mov, mpeg etc that you want. I’d like to help if I can, though my bandwidth is an issue so it would be helpful to have something smaller than AVI.

Also, a bit of organisation; do you have a list of “now done” versus “still needed”?

Edit
:
Textures; of course, if you want them. There is also a File Menu > External Data list of options to pack texture maps etc into the blend file itself.

I think were looking at all still needed if the textures arent working properly. png sequence is the best way to go from here i think as will save alot of time

Its giving me an error because it cant find the file i used for my reference image… but i removed it from my background images and all

So… are the files up as of now “correct” in terms of textures?

i dont know, packing it isnt doing anything :frowning:

I really hope there’s not a duplication of efforts here. I’ve got SC05 SH01 rendered and currently uploading (link to be provided once it’s done). Is anybody else also rendering/uploading that same one??

I really hope there’s not a duplication of efforts here. I’ve got SC05 SH01 rendered and currently uploading (link to be provided once it’s done). Is anybody else also rendering/uploading that same one?? You might want to assign specific files to each render volunteer.

http://www.4shared.com/zip/vCIf2nkj/SC_05_SH010001-0250.html

It’s been compressed to a zip file for making it faster to upload. Any word on who’s already done what scenes? Is there a specific one I should do next?

GenericFantasy; given that bacon_chaney has reported to have rendered all current versions and is just uploading… is there still a point to others rendering? How are those textures working out?
Edit: Been looking at SH03. The lighting’s missing as well. I think you need to give these files another onceover.

Hi guys, sorry my internets got cut off :confused: thank you for helping but i think Lancers right, i need to give them a good look to fix all the bugs first :frowning:
Really really sorry!

Not a problem man. Hoping your project works out. You’re asking the favour nicely and this is a good use for the forums.

Edit: If your tutor just wants to know how it’s going, why a full render? You could just playblast the file (this is fairly normal practise in studios which have to work with frequent feedback).

Thanks, it means a lot, i hope so too :confused:
Just hes got me really stressed over this project and he keeps saying if its not rendered by friday then our groups gonna have to start a whole new project, and complete it b then, which wont improve matters.
So thats kinda why i was a tad disorganised with this, i got all scatterbrained in a rush to get it done and dusted… He wants full rendered files :confused: Im thinking of just putting it through an OpenGL render, just to get it outta the way, and then use fancy words to make it sound like making it look good is all in the compositor, or after effects or something… hes not an animation teacher like, just media studies… as far as hes concerned im the expert in the building :L

I guess the school’s not providing a computerlab renderfarm and you’re being expected to render from home? Hmmm. Rendering takes a lot of time and needs to be part of the original project plan… including rerenders for troubleshooting.

The animation industry is pretty demanding and some tutors like to take a hard line in order to emulate “real world” pressure. If this is what he’s doing, just recognise it. But starting “a whole new project” is odd though. The pressure does mean late nights, though not in a counter productive way. Animators are constantly joking with each other and the atmosphere of working on an epic project, shot for shot while each group solves their bunch of “never been done before” problems is a huge buzz.

If your tutor doesn’t have animation experience per say and thereby doesn’t understand the production pipeline in terms of timing the different stages, then it’s a fairly big oversight and, as long as he knows no one’s trying to be lazy, he should try to enjoy the ride a bit more himself.

Let me guess; he’s not allowed dedicated time for the process of rigging in terms of workable IK/FK setups etc? Could add a few weeks to the plan but sure speeds up the rest of the animation process.

I suggest you…

• render out via OpenGL (that by the way, is “playblasting”)
  • take one or two “snapshots” (single frame; at least one of each scene) so he can see what it’s going to look like in the final version.

This way, he can see exactly how much is done and ready to render and give feedback accordingly.

Rendering “the whole thing” ahead of when it’s really needed (as opposed t the snapshots I’m suggesting here) is itself, a waste of time when you know you’re going to rerender later down the track.