Material Blend?

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to blend or fade together (for example) a ‘wood’ and ‘stucci’ texture type together?

The ‘blend’ texture type does a good job of blending/fading a plain color on top of the underlying attributes, but I’d like to blend 2 texture types together, like the mockup below created in photshop:

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

Hi,

You can use material nodes to do this. I’ve attached an example. There’s an empty in my file that you can move, rotate and scale to change the blend between the textures.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

BlendedTexture.blend (231 KB)

can this be done with the normal channel in textures ?

Thanks

Hi,

I think so, if you use the Stencil function. I tried doing it that way first but I couldn’t control it well enough.

if you look at the nodes as shown in dwg and mixing 2 textures
is is equivalent to mix mode with 2 textures channels?

Thanks

Hi,

It’s nearly the same, except I’m using a blend texture to control the relative strengths of the two textures being mixed. If you set up a simple material with just two textures and mix mode, both textures would be visible across the entire surface of the object. The original poster wanted a way to control the dominance of one texture over another.

usually a stencil is black and white i mean what’s after pass trough or not

so the blend texture is kind of acting as a semi transparent stencil?

Salutations

Hi,

Yes, the blend texture acts as a variable stencil in this case. You can also easily switch the blend texture for another texture to get interesting patterns of textures.