Material changes when objects are joined.

I’ve been trying to figure this one out for ages and I’d appreciate some help here.

I was following the pixar eye tutorial. Everything is fine until I join the iris to the eye ball at which point the iris loses it’s texture and just goes black.

What have I missed here? I’ve read through loads of tutorials and messages and there doesn’t seem to be any mention of a problem with Blender when joining objects together.

I did the same tutorial and didn’t have a problem…

Before joining, did:

• your iris have a texture channel associated with it (F5 and F6)?
  • your eyeball NOT have the same texture channel associated with it?

Simply using the UV Editor is not sufficient.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I’ve assigned the iris texture to be Tex.002 and it’s in the second slot of the texture properties box.

The eyeball is Tex.001 and is in the first slot of the texture properties box.

After playing around with it more I have an idea of what needs to be done but I don’t know how to do it.

In the tutorial it says not to tweak the texture coordinates before joining the meshes because the texture space will change.

Well I haven’t done any tweaking of texture coordinates and I noticed that if I move the iris to certain positions on the screen it does have the iris image on it - just not in the right position.

How do I anchor the image onto the iris in the correct place? Do I have to use the UV editor as shown in the UV Mapping and Texture tutorial?

The tutorial is kind of old.
I UV mapped my iris where I wanted it before joining and it worked OK.

Make sure the iris texture says “UV” under the “Map Input” tab.

Thanks Duoas!

That worked! Phew! Now for the head…