Material creation workflow under lookdev mode with Eevee (Blender 2.8)

Hi all,

I’m having some trouble understanding which method of building and previewing materials would be most “neutral”, for a lack of better word.

As you can see below, each of the HDRi images in lookdev mode obviously give very different results with its final look. It feels like I’m actually getting a false impression of what my materials really look like.

Lookdev

Would you take the final composition of the object in mind from the start and use an approximate HDRi? Could I use a generalized, more neutral HDRi from the beginning of the material creation process?

The answer to this is probably pretty complex, but any help with basic considerations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I create my materials always with render preview instead of lookdev.
Specially for reflective materials like metal it makes a huge difference how them look, so yes, i would recommend an HDRi only with non colored lights.
Also i dont work with HDRi and/or realistic look so my answer might not a good one for you.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I’ll try to use HDRi’s with non-coloured lights when creating my materials for now.

You’re right, my metal material looks very different between lookdev and cycles render modes. I definitely prefer how it looks in lookdev mode at the moment.

I’ll keep playing around with it. Thanks again