Material dissimilarity

Hello everyone. I have a lathe object in my scene. The problem is it looks like made of two different materials, whatever lighting I use (please see the fragment. The marked ring looks darker and completely diffuse in comparison to rings below it). Actually it consists of only one material. All normals are surely correct. How would I make it looking more isotropic? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.image10

How did you texture it? If you projected from top down, the ring’s side wall doesn’t get any texture space and thus would look that smooth.

It’s not textured at all. It’s just a mix of Glossy+Diffuse (pure Glossy looks more the same). Yes I guess the problem is in the completely vertical wall, but I don’t know how to solve the problem. Interesting, Ortho camera shows the same result.
PS yes have just aligned the vertical wall and it looks fine, but the matter is I need it vertical…

If all rings below it are actually the same material, there is something wrong. Your screenshot is extremely small and doesn’t show much detail at its size. Is there a reason why you aren’t using the Principled BSDF shader? I am also wondering why you are looking to make your material more isotropic. Did you mean anisotropic? You can use the Principled BSDF to make a material metallic by sliding up the Metallic slider, and you can make it Anisotropic by sliding the Anisotropic slider up (while having a Roughness value greater than 0).

Have you checked your normals and made sure they are all facing the same way? Pipes in blender famously end up with the wrong face orientation. Grab all the faces and press shift+N. Inverted normals can cause all sorts of shading issues. This is one of those things that no matter what your experience level you can miss. 3D modeling has a lot of moving parts and it’s easy to occasionally miss small things like that.

You want it more isotropic? A lathed object tend to get anisotropic.
Can you share it? To me it’s impossible to guess.

All normals are correct (please see carefully my post).
Saying isotropic I meant the object to look uniformly in all directions, i.e. the ring with vertical wall would look the same as inclined rings. I maybe am wrong with terms here.
The file is of 8MB size so I just don’t want to litter forum with it. Can send in e-mail though.
Here is a better screenshot11

You can use Pasteall. Files can be as big as 24Mb and they will be deleted after a few months.
https://pasteall.org/blend/

Thank you.
Here is the file :slightly_smiling_face:
https://pasteall.org/blend/c64772f1182047a7b4ba96eb51e1d308
Since then, I’ve improved it just a bit.

I’ll have a look at it later, currently rendering out some stuff.
To upload here, save as new file, then delete and purge anything not relevant to reduce the file size. 18MB for a few cylindrical shapes sounds nuts :slight_smile:

It is just a lighting problem, I downloaded your file and changed the angle of the straight faces and they look the same as the others. Your Light is very high up and reflects less on the faces which are straight.

Here is a render when I give the faces the same angle as the others.

DNorman Thank you for your reasoning and either testing. So do you think to avoid such problems I should use smaller light values?

It depends, if you put your light at more of an angle (less perpendicular) it will reflect better on the surfaces the are straight up. The intensity is not the problem its the angle of incidence.
I have taken another look at the file and the sun lamp does not actually do much of lighting You use an hdri You could try rotating that with the mapping node. If not urn off the hdri and light with lamps you will find it more logical.

Thank you!
I’ll keep that in mind.
PS Got it! I understand what you do say. Though a kind of problem here is that when adjusting light for a particular object, the rest scene may get deprived nice lighting. So sometimes it’s difficult to fulfill nice lighting for everything in a scene.

You are welcome, I do these answers like a quiz show!

What is it supposed to be, and how is it made? You mentioned lathe - would that be the means of production in real life or are you talking about lathe (screw modifier) as a construction tool in Blender?
Do you have an image of the real thing so I know what I’m looking at? While I agree it’s a lighting issue, the camera is badly setup with a very high shift, clamping, aniso shading seems off but hard to tell without a reference.

It’s a production detail, made of some plastic similar to rubber, or maybe pure rubber.
https://pasteall.org/pic/86f46c493f62434f802a6a45dcb11f41
and here is it in my scene
https://pasteall.org/pic/2835208c59314ae8af079f736893d8d8

The top part looks like steel to me.