Material OSA settings

Hi all,

Just wanted to show everyone the great new benefits of the OSA in the material settings.

Sadly I only realised the benefits after submitting my WC entry :frowning:

Anyway, here it is

WC image without material OSA:

Someone complained that one couldn’t read the writing very well and I totally agree.

Image with the new OSA material feature:

Here you can realise the benefits. Much clearer :wink:

I’d like to thank all the Blender developers out there for adding this brilliant feature.

Cheers

Jon

Material has OSA now, Sweet :slight_smile:

you could have achieved the same settings before by simply turning on motion blur [the camera is jittered, givng the whole image very nice osa]

except it would be slower

this is faster, and useful when materials have more detail than is visible on screen

[for those that don’t know, this new material option will cause all of the face to have osa applied, not just the eges]

On a slightly different note, I am making a file in which I have a texture that I do not want to be OSA’ed. When I turn on oversampling, the entire texture looks too blured. How do you use OSA 5 for all of the rest of the picture but not use OSA for the texture?

if you are dealing with an image texture, turn off mipmapping [in the texture buttons]

other than that, iirc the option is per material, and doesn’t exist [as in it isn’t possible without motion blur] in 2.33

Yes, it was an image texture. I will have to see if it works.

This sounds cool, but how do you activate the OSA on the material? What do I need to do?

Easy, after adding a mesh. Press (F5) and add a material block to your mesh. Placed above the colour setting you’ll notice a new button called “Full OSA” Pressing this will enable the new feature.

Be warned though as this tends to slow down rendering times quite considerably so make sure you only use it on materials that really need it.

Yep, I noticed that in the competition and I wondered why it was like that. BTW I thought that was the best image in the competition but it was really the aliasing that was making me think about voting for the walking clothes.

It sure is a great feature. Does yafray have that trouble or was your render done in yafray? I ask because it looks as though there’s some dof blurring in there (suggesting yafray) but I don’t see any caustics (suggesting Blender).

i have asked everywhere - where do i get the download for blender 2.34? direct link to the .exe download! all of the other links turned up with nothing or a dead end! i want this before i go offline in a couple of weeks! please get me a link! :expressionless:

alternatively you could PM me and you can send me a zip of it when i give you my email then -> that is if i have to compile or something which i don’t usually get! :expressionless:

The official release will be out before long. Why are you going offline?

ya i know you are all sad! :stuck_out_tongue:

i am moving and won’t have internet (even dial up) for a couple weeks to a couple months and i am getting all of the blender ware related stuff i can before i move on the 18th so if it isn’t out by then then i am really blended! :<

if you can give me teh pre release still just incase that would be nice! thanks! :wink:

Try here:

http://www.netconnexion.ca/~gbeloin/elysiun/build/bf_blender_windows_20040802.zip

Sometimes it’s better not having internet access for a while. You tend to do more work. :wink:

The official 2.34 comes out tomorrow, I hear…

What time zone?

I don’t know of a time, I just know it’s within the next 24 hours

Try here:

http://www.netconnexion.ca/~gbeloin/elysiun/build/bf_blender_windows_20040802.zip

Sometimes it’s better not having internet access for a while. You tend to do more work. ;)[/quote]

zip doesn’t work! takes me to a useless page -> i’ll try again later.

as far as going off line - it helps and doesn’t - no google for texture search, no email, no internet connection for online gaming and worst of all no WC! :< any other direct links to the .exe or zip to blender 2.34 incase it doesn’t get released let me know! :wink:

Try here:

Sometimes it’s better not having internet access for a while. You tend to do more work. ;)[/quote]

zip doesn’t work! takes me to a useless page -> i’ll try again later.

as far as going off line - it helps and doesn’t - no google for texture search, no email, no internet connection for online gaming and worst of all no WC! :< any other direct links to the .exe or zip to blender 2.34 incase it doesn’t get released let me know! ;)[/quote]
is it too hard to go to blender.org
click forum
click testing builds
click windows pre 2
I guess that is the one that is down

there are other builds there, if a bit older

[please stop complaining, and you don’t need a direct link]

i am sorry if i sound like i am complaing but every where i have been (and i have searched blender.org) gives me links to files that contain nothing or the wrong things or bad links completely and seeing as you aren’t going offline i think you don’t have room to talk old buddy! %|