Material split on unapplied 3 segment bevel

Hello!

While applying different materials to the side faces of this object, I found that Blender was wishy-washy about which side of the bevel to favor when applying the material. If I change the bevel segment to an even number, it solves it, which makes sense, and the actual result that I want is achieved by changing the material index of the generated faces, but I was just curious, IF I wanted this bevel to split evenly in the bevel AND wanted to keep a 3 segment bevel, is there any way to edit this without applying the bevel?

I tested with a simple cube and Blender was consistent with which side of the bevel it favored:

So I’m guessing it has something to do with normals getting mixed up since I did a lot of deleting and recreating of faces/vertices while modeling. I did recalculate normals outside and checked face orientation and all seems well there.

I am using the 2.91.0 Alpha.

Nope, this is just a thing. I regularly encounter this, it makes a “best guess” as to what material it should use. You can specifiy the material for bevels, however, that then applies to ALL bevels for an object, regardless of whether the faces are assigned to different materials. I’ve never found a 100% successful method of dealing with this bar applying the bevel and assigning the surface manually.

1 Like

Ah, unfortunate but good to know. Thanks!