Material/Texture not properly receiving Light. Appears Dark

I have 2 models, seemingly identical that i have ported over from XPS with different poses. One model appears dark and does not receive light properly and the other does.

An image of the issue: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oVxnZ2r9x7MY6bo-FOoGWjutYYYEmufG/view?usp=sharing

I’ve tried going through their materials/textures and everything appears to be identical. Changing the material to shadeless removes the darkness and the models become identical, but for me to have a light source, the model needs to be shaded.

I’ve eliminated all the scene lights and only have an environment light on currently.

Importing the model into a new scene resolves the issue, but reimporting the model into the existing scene does not.

I have a lot of assets in the scene and would prefer not to have to start over on a new file. I would much rather learn what the issue is and resolve things here. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

We don’t have access to your screenshot…

Fixed. Sorry about that.

Hmm… It certainly looks like the diffuse got replaced by a metalness texture…but you say the shaders are / or look identical…
In the XPS shader ( since they are the same model ) how many users does a material have…I was wondering if you make it a single user for the second model it might fix it…
Also, check and see if there is a lightmap node connected to the shader that doesn’t actually have a map assigned to it…if it does then it will show the character as Black…it should either be disconnected or add a lightmap from the XNA main folder…
That’s about all I can guess without seeing the Blend or screenshots of the shaders and the shader editor… I did the same thing with I think the same character and they work fine both look identical … hmm I wonder if the different pose made any difference? Did you import the pose through XPS tools or from XNA Pose studio?

I don’t really follow the Lightmap node and i’m wondering if that’s a cycles thing while i’m using the blender render. I’m sharing the blend file here and i’m hoping that something obvious will jump out to you or someone else. If you have time to take a look it would be much appreciated.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pGU57ILk08tgEuVqm1CI5E0rJ2fflhhF/view?usp=sharing

I was just using the Export as .obj option from the latest version of XPS. I’m not sure if that would be considered the tools or Pose studio.

Ahhh I would not export from XNA as an object…I would import the file using the XNA Plug-in… XPS-Tools
It will export with Rig Materials etc and it will also import any and all Poses…

As to your file…It appears that the normals were messed up on the second zombie…
as well as several other characters in the scene… ( that’s the export to . OBJ )
Easy fix…

1. Select the Show Face Orientation in the Viewport overlays…( pull down with the overlapping spheres top of Viewport)
  2. Select the character and enter edit mode ( several a broken into individual parts so select the parts, sometimes I find hiding the rest temporarily helpful)
  3. With a part selected > Mesh>Normals>Recalculate Outside… The also select > Mesh >Normals>Set From Faces

NOTE: The lightmap in a setting in the nodes from the XPS-TOOLS import ( it imports the file with all the textures and creates the nodes for them !)
I work in EeVee almost exclusively…and really suggest you learn nodes and start using them…your renders will be severely limited till you do!

Wow, thank you. I knew it must be something simple i was missing. I’m an illustrator and will use Blender to create lighting references for illustrations i’m working on, so Blender isn’t where i spend most of my time.

I was using Blender 2.79 and had to upgrade to the latest version in order to fix the issues. But now i have many more issues and basically need to relearn the whole program. None of my models are displaying textures in the render, none of my lights behave correctly. And i can’t find anything in the UI. It seems like they made a number of significant changes and now i’m worried i just don’t spend enough time in this program to properly learn the workflow. I’ll play around and see if i can figure things out.

Thanks so much for your help!

1 Like

Yep going from 2.79 to 2.8 or 9 is a quantum leap…but still, it all works the same, just finding the things you need is the learning curve…

That is one thing the XPS tools will help with…since it does just about everything for you as far as Poses and textures…it is really a one-click solution ( sort of )…

Watch a video on all the Basics and you should get a handle on things…

1 Like