Material Wizard - High Level Material Node Editor and Baker

I’m sorry for the release delay. Still waiting for response from Blender Market, I was a little bit late registering as creator :grimacing:

Because of this, I’ll add some small features, till I’m able to offer it.

4 Likes

Hi hob-B1T
Can we create our custom material group and expose some paramaters just like blender and save to Material Wizard ?

Hi wuren,

not sure if I understand you correct. Did you like to create Node Groups in Material Wizard like in Blenders Shader Editor … or did you mean to create Node Groups in Blenders Shader Editor and use these groups in Material Wizard?

Both things are currently not implemented. I though about both things, but think the first one is of very limited use, it would reduce the visual feedback that MW tries to offer. The second one can be very useful, as MW does only offer a limited set of nodes compared to Blenders Shader System, so you create missed effects and use them in MW too. In this case, it may even possible to show some of the values from inside the node group (like color ramps, curves, images) on the nodes body. I have to experiment with this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thanks for your reply .
Yes, i think it is second one

I didn’t read anything about it, but maybe I missed it. If someone setup shader/materials using this Addon and then someone who DOESN’T have the addon tried to open the file, what happens?

Are they able to even see the materials / edit them, or does it somehow display them in the old way/standard graph?

The plugin manages a standard Shader NodeTree in the background, so if no Addon is active, the material is “as-is” usable.

On the screen below you see the MW-Tree on the left and it’s “managed” counterpart on the right side. Each MW-Node is embedded in a Blender Node Group. The Addon manages the NodeGroups interna and updates links between them if anything in the MW-NodeTree changes. So no magic, just a different visualization.

Opening the .blend on a different PC is just the usual problem, finding the corresponding textures, but this is a little bit problematic in any way. I’m open for any idea how to handle this in a comfortable for users.

2 Likes

Ah, ok. As long as it’s still accessible without the Add-on, that was my biggest concern.
I think what you have on the right is good too, if that’s the kind of “worst case”.

I’ve seen and work with MUCH crazier node graphs all the time at work in other programs and in blender shaders. With much worse/no visualization and so on. So this seems good!

I’m looking forward to the release!

Thank you!

Hi,

to all interested in this Addon, I have an offer to you!

Still waiting Material Wizard is available at BlenderMarket, I’ve build a new WebPage where you can buy it using PayPal as well. Though I’ve tested the paying process as good as possible, there’s still a bit fear something may go wrong, especially when payment comes from a different country. So I’m in search for brave persons that act as first buyers.

As a reward to helping me in this stage, the first three persons contacting me will get a 50% discount code. You’ll have my full attention during the payment process and get full refund in case something goes wrong.

Please give me a PN if you are interested. I will give you all details there.

Many thanks

1 Like

Will this be on gum road as well?

I have to check this out, I havn’t selled anything before.

But if it takes the same time between registration and release, you may have to wait around one week. This is not something negative against BlenderMarket, these guys do their job very well, but this needs time …

Anyway, my website seems to work, so you I can give a link to anything. Please check out https://wp.h0bb1t.de … any feedback is very welcome.

1 Like

@hob-B1T

Just purchased and started using your addon. Very impressed!.
Will get back with some feedback soon but am loving it so far :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, nice to know it works. First release is always the most critical stage, independent how good a software is tested, on other users systems are sometimes unexpected problems.

1 Like

The payment process, on your website, was really as easy as with Blendermarket and Gumroad. No problems at all. Finally a simplified interface for the daily texture tasks in blender without Cycles noodle salad :laughing:. Thank you very much for that addon. :+1:

@hob-B1T

Just purchased your addon, thanks for your work. And there is feature request already: is it possible to make it compatible with ExtremePBR’s library naming scheme? It is as follows:

ls Metal/2K_Metal05/                                                                                                                                                      
Metal05_diffuse_xtm.jpg  Metal05_displace_xtm.jpg  Metal05_metal_xtm.jpg  Metal05_normal_xtm.jpg  Metal05_roughness_xtm.jpg

Thakns in advance!

1 Like

Hello @gnahum,

many thanks to support me!

It will be part of the next release. If you didn’t like to wait and know how to change a single line in the Addon, here is how to do this:

Edit texturemapper.py, line 19 … change it from

valid_suffixes = “_1k|_2k|_4k|_8k”

to

valid_suffixes = “_1k|_2k|_4k|_8k|_xtm”

than it should work. But you will get a lot of directories in the folder selection box, as XTM packs every single PBR set in a single directory. I will think about a more suitable way to handle this case, which is a little more work for me, but I have some ideas how to do this :slight_smile:

Best regards,
hob-B1T

1 Like

Hello @Kickflipkid687,

Material Wizard is now available at Gumroad: https://gumroad.com/h0bb1t#tGLtJ

If you consider to buy it there, my thanks in advance! Please give me a hint if everything goes right, many thanks.

kind regards,
hob-B1T

1 Like

awesome, thank you!

Thank you for quick answer. Yes, it works, and yes, directory listing is really unmanageable. It will do for now, but i hope you will find some elegant solution for this.

Hi, hob-B1T.

I have a question, I think we currently load and display existing textures, but will we be able to preview procedural textures in the future?

I think it would be better if we could do something like the “2D preview of procedural textures inside nodes” discussed here.

Hi @anminmakura,

I will look into this. If the API offers such things, than chances are good to add such a feature. Currently the API is very limited in previews, even painted textures do not update as I wished.