Materials and vertexs

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I can’t seem to find the answer anywhere.

Is it possible to assign new materials to vertexs?

Eg. UVSphere - select have the vertexs, assign different materials to each half so it is two-toned?

If that is not possible, how do you select some vertexs and make them new objects?

THere are a few buttons in the edit section wich are indicated by ’ vertex groups ’ … next to them you there’s a box for multiple materials…

Just select the vertext group that you want… add a new material and assign the material to it… That’s it…

To make a seperate object from group of vertices … select the verts you want and press PKEY to seperate…

B.t.w. this is all in the doc…

md01

There’s no need to assign a vertex group to vertices for assigning them a material index, though… By the second “vertex group” he meant “the vertices you want” :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help everyone.

I managed to make new objects out of selected vertices.

But I didn’t understand what you meant about assigning different vertices a different material, so I didn’t know what to do. Which buttons do I push?

Thanks again. :smiley:

Adding New Material for vertices is easy. First select the vertices that you want and then go to Editing buttons screen. There you can see Material and underneath several buttons: 1 Mat: 1, New, Delete, Select and so on…
Click on the New and then Assign to assign recently selected vertices to the new material. Then go straight to the material screen. You can see the material’s name MA:Material and beside that showing nr 2. Click on the nr 2 and it asks: Single user? Just click it and then you can change the material setting as you wish… Hope this helps… I’ve been struggling myself with it before :slight_smile:

K-Lo

Yes, it’s material indices you want. There’s a tutorial in the manual from Blender.org that shows how to make a two tone mushroom mesh. You could just follow K-Lo’s outline, it’s the same.

Does anyone know why there is an index limit of 16? Will this be upgraded in future?

FYI: the materials are applied to different faces not different verticies.
When you click “Assign” all the selected faces (ie all the faces which have all 3/4 verts selected) are set to that material index.

Yeah, important point. There are four closely-related CG terms buzzing here: - Vertex: A point, a dot, a location in space described by (X,Y,Z) coordinates. You can’t “see” it, therefore the notion of “materials” or “textures” makes no sense. - Edge: A line, drawn between two vertices (“points”). The edge itself has no width, no height, only a length. Once again you can’t see it, and so it has no “material” or “texture.” - Face: A triangle, square, or other polygon (“n-sided figure”) which is defined by three or more edges (“lines”). All of the edges must be on the same plane; that is to say, the face is flat. You can see a face, unless it’s edge-wise to you. It has a material, textures and so-on. - Materials and textures: These tell Blender how the different faces of an object should look. Each object can have one or more materials assigned to it, and each face contains a “material index” which selects the particular one of the object’s materials that should be used to draw this face. (Each one of an object’s materials can have one or more textures assigned to it.) So that is how you can create a cube with red faces and blue ones. It’s also one way you can create a pair of gambling dice.
Selecting Things:

A face is recognized by the vertices (“points”) which define its boundaries. The same is true of each edge (“line”). When you select both of the vertices that define an edge, the edge turns yellow. If “Draw Faces” is on, when you select all of the edges which define a face, the face turns pink.

Edit mode is a “vertex-oriented” tool, so each mouse click is associated with a particular vertex. Meanwhile, UV Face Select is a “face-oriented” mode, so each mouse click is interpreted as a reference to an entire face; therefore necessarily including all of the edges and vertices associated with that face. (And Object mode is … guess what. Exactly!) If you switch from one mode to another, which you can do at any time, you’ll see that their actions always remain consistent with one another.

hth…