Okay i recorded several videos of this problem in action.
I’m using Blender 2.83.2 with my own .blend file.
The fully packed .blend file is here:
I’m including it so people can debug it if possible.
I have a series of three youtube videos capturing what occurred. Note, this .blend file takes 30 seconds to a minute to load on my machine (64GBs, Intel Core7, Nvidia Quadro 4000, Win10)
go here to see the bug in action. Each video has some description as to what you are seeing:
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8560WsF42Lo
Part 2 and 3 are right after this one…
Basically the summary is the following:
0) the file is 2GB in size so its takes a minute to load everything
- the .blend file has been saved with Eevee as the renderer
- go into material mode and everything is white
- turn off most (or all) of the collections
- IMPORTANT: Turn off the collection named “New Lawn” as this has a particle system on it
- start turning collections back on in the viewport and materials sometimes appear as normal
but most of the time come back white
- if step #5 resulted in more ‘white out’, then switch renderer to Cycles
- then turn off everything and turn back on and you will see materials back
At this point, if you render in Cycles (render in the viewport, not F12), things work
If you go back to Eevee and go into viewport render mode, immediate crash.
This has to be a bug… What else can I do to help verify it?