Math Game

I math game! How fun. I hope some of you are interested… For some reason I was when I thought of it while eating cereal…

I don’t know if anyone has done this kind of thing before, and if it has been done, I’m sorry. Like the “Ask the Person Below” thread, I thought it would be fun to have a similar forum game but that revolves around math.

How it’s played:
Someone writes a math question, the person below answers it and asks one of their own questions.

Example:
Post 1:
What’s 2 + 2?

Post 2:
Answer: 2 + 2 = 4
What’s 3 + 3?

So on and so forth. Very simple.

Rules:
Really, you guys can do whatever you want on the thread, but if we can keep it to math talk that would be cool.

Also, riddles would be nice to have also, except the problem with riddles is that the answers could be found on the internet via search engines.

If you could show your solve that would be great. The answer can be written in anyway that is understandable, e.g. decimals, fractions, radicals, etc.

If the person below you is wrong, anyone can correct them with a solve and the correct answer.

Starting it off:
Ok, so let us start off with a really easy one.

x + 2 = 7

What is x^2?

AUGH!!! my brains hurting.
Okay then. Let me see.
5. I’ll go 5.

X+17=20
what is x?

X=3

What is 164,464,000 X pie
(leave answer in simplest form)

bzzzzzzzzt

Ouch that hurt.

X • (x+1) • (3x+1)

X=5

I’m sorry but that’s the wrong answer… :confused: it’s 164,464,000 then the symbol pie after)
That is simplest form :slight_smile:

Hmm… That answer to yours is 480?? Not sure if that’s right…

Not sure either.

You mean the irrational number Pi (π ) by any chance?
Because pie is something you eat.

Hahaha, if you make up a question make sure you can solve it, it doesn’t matter if you don’t have it when you make it, just make sure you can solve it yourself. I’ll do another easy one.

Two people start at the exact same location. They both move three meters away from each other, in other words, the opposite direction. They both then move four meters to the left. How far away are they from each other?

Assuming they are moving to their own left (i.e. in opposite directions) they will be 10 m apart.

Gotta love this one:
1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + 1/16 + 1/32…
(a sum of 1/2^n where n goes from 0 to infinity)

Sum of infinite geometric series,
S=a/(1 - r)
a --> first term, r --> common ratio.

In binary system, 1+1=?

0, carry the 1.

Congrats, you have just reminded me how much I hate using binary… Trying to convert back and forth between decimal and binary however, is even worse.

Pi= 3 and what fractional value?

18+84 squared is.

I don’t know and I don’t care (yep, that is the definition of ignorance and apathy). Here is an old one from when I was a kid…

Three men rent a hotel room. Each pays $10 for a total of $30 spent on the room. The next day the hotel owner tells the three men that they over paid for the room as it only costs $25. The three men tell the owner to give them each a dollar back and he can keep two dollars.

If you do the math, each man paid $9 a piece for the room for a total of $27. The owner kept $2 which brings the total to $29.

The question is where did the other dollar go?

TWS Admin:

18+84^2
or
(18+84)^2

Solve for both:
a = 18+84^2
a = 18 + 7056
a = 7074

b = (18+84)^2
b = 102^2
b = 10404

Not really a math problem, more of a “logic” problem.

The men do pay $9 each, but not for the room. This is the money for the room and the money given to the owner.
You’re counting the owner’s “tip” twice.

The room costs $25, men paid $30, owner gave back $3 and kept $2.
They didn’t give the owner $27 up front and then the tip, the tip is included in the $27 dollars so there’s no need to add the tip again. Instead, you add the $3 given back to the men, and what do you know? It all adds up to $30.

-----------------------------------

As I said, it’d be nice to do some riddles, so here’s a fun one:

A man in England is very poor. He walking along the streets of England and he happens to find a coin that is dated back to, 32B.C., the man gets excited and travels all the way to Paris to sell the coin. He goes into a store to sell his coin. When he shows it to the clerk, however, she calls it a fraud, and the man is sent to jail immediately.

How did the clerk know the coin was fake?