max poly count ?

Hi, I know i’m asking a common question, but i can’t find the important answer!
I have to model a city and then use the game engine just to walk throught it.
Now the question is: What is the max poly count that I can use?
I just need a number, even if I know i can try to you less poly as possible.
Thanks!!
Luca

Depends at your computer, but I heard some people say blender will crash if you have more than 50k poly’s in a scene.

Thanks for reply. If someone has some other clue, it’s welcome, and important.
Thanks

I’m sure kay_eva has reported using a linux build with well over 100,000 polys in a scene…

There is no simple answer to this, because its not just about tri count, my 2 year old system can get around 25fps on ~1 million quads, your only likely to get a crash if you run our of system memory for blender to use.

Fill rate is also important along with the complexity of the shaders you use, and ofcourse how your models are distributed, how many are in the view at once etc.

Resolution of textures and 2D filters can influence the fps. Just test your scene regulary and if you noticed a huge framedrop, when you add an object, the object should be lower-poly.

I have used meshes with 10 million faces in Blender and apart from the selection of objects, GUI response speed and slow redraw in the viewport, it works great :slight_smile:

I have a AMD 5600+, 8800GTX, Vista 64 and 8GB DDR2 RAM.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

I remember having run something like 3 millions tris at 60 fps once…

hello,
most of the reported crashes on relatively larger scenes have to do with default colision face settings (mainly since bullet gpu usage, I guess). If one tweaks the scene relatively well, and disable most of colision evaluations, then the limits go very high, but still depend a lot on the computer and graphics card one uses.

Thanks to all! :slight_smile:

Hello
the most important parameter is, in my opinion, the “target machine”
If you have the intention that “normal/everyday people” watch it, try to use around 10,000 - 20,000 with mostly 256x256 textures and no GLSL
Now there’s many ways to optimize this, of course, for example, use basic cubes for distant buildings and add more detail for “important” ones.
Bye