I have been testing a game on various machines and had no luck finding out why it was so slow on some machines until just now…
I made a runtime and I was having no trouble until I maximised the window at which point:
- The window went black
- After a second or two it refreshed and looked fine but…
- Nothing happened, my game crashed
I have been worrying about my textures and so removed half of them and my game ran smoothly in full screen (no black window refresh thing).
I added textures one by one until it broke again. There wasn’t a drop in performance until I exceeded 42 textures. My textures are all png so I tried increasing the colour paletes to see if it was file sizes, but this made no difference however it wasn’t down to just number of files either as I can get 45 textures to work depending on which ones I choose.
I can only assume that it is total number of pixels that my card is limiting. Am I able to switch textures in/out of memory to solve this problem; I have 1.2mb of textures working and another 512k I want to use.