Maximum Values for Game Properties

Is there any specific reason that 10,000 is the maximum value you can give for float and int game properties? As far as I know, there shouldn’t be any limitations due to Blender’s codebase, so I’m guessing it’s just a UI choice. If that’s the case, is there any reason this shouldn’t be changed?

I don’t know why… But use python

Oh I do. I’m using the game properties to initialize properties in my Python objects. My Python classes look for the game properties on their owner objects. In the mean time, I’m using a work around where I have two properties that are multiplied together to get a value greater than 10,000, but it’s clunky and ugly.

Why don’t you use a smaller number to represent the bigger number on the object properties and then manipulate it through python?

For example, 20 000 could be written as 2, and then it in python you could multiply is 10 000.

I’m curious, why are you using such large numbers anyway?

That’s what I’m doing now, with the base value and a multiplier. 10,000 * 10,000 will get me up to 100,000,000.

I’m tinkering with a system for simulating water flowing from one volume to another, and I’d been doing calculations in liters. There’s no reason I can’t do calculations in cubic meters or in kiloliters or something, but I just found the limit of 10,000 a little surprising and arbitrary.

I was not aware of such a limit.

As workaround I can offer you this solution:
Enter the large number in a string property (you enter strings anyway).

Logic bricks: Copy the property value to an int/float property.
Python: convert the string to the type you want:

getPropertyValueAsFloat(object, property):
   return float(object[property])

getPropertyValueAsInt(object, property):
   return int(object[property])

Just a thought… did you get to that limit by dragging the slider, or did you try clicking in the middle and typing your own value in?

You can reach the limit either way