Maya Creative

:eyes:
Meet Maya Creative, a more flexible and affordable version of Maya with powerful modeling, animation, rigging, and rendering tools. Available now through Autodesk Flex.

It’s still rather expensive though. I’m not exactly sure how Autodesk’s token system works, but it seems that you pay a minimum of $300 for 100 token, of which this version of Maya consumes 1 of per day, down from the 6 you use for a normal Maya license.

So it equals out to roughly $100 per month of usage.

That’s fine for professionals, but for a hobbyist like me, it’s something of a letdown.

3 Likes

I wonder what’s the advantage over Maya Indie, pricing wise. Okay, you pay only for the days you use, but if in the end the price is the same, and Maya Indie is the full package, I don’t see such a big advantage. If they hope to catch the hobbyist market with this, I think they’re wrong.

And I think they shoot themselves in the foot by not providing a Maya version that works for non-commercial purposes, a bit like Houdini or other software like Mari or 3dcoat do. One day, in a few years, they’ll realize that there will be a full new generation of artists who has grown up with Blender and is used to that.

1 Like

I have heard of the token system before, nothing like creating a bunch of scene files and then facing a countdown to the day you can’t open them anymore. The rental system in general (in which this is just rental with a new coat of paint) is not a good deal for hobbyists and more casual users because even if you are not using the software as of now, you are still paying for it. FOSS and perpetual licensing at least make it safe to simply collect software you might want to use from time to time (since there is no pressure to actually make use of it constantly).

1 Like

I’d rather pay a monthly fee and know I always have access than deal with this token nonsense. Granted, I don’t use software with monthly subscriptions anyway, but if I did, I still wouldn’t use this payment system. I can’t imagine this is going to sell well

1 Like

Well, apparently if you do the math, it is 300 dollars for 100 days of usage, so you would pay up to 4 times annually. Compared to Maya Indie, this is both a noticeable price hike (at least 1000 dollars a year) and a return to the time where the ‘affordable’ tiers gave you a stripped-down version of the software. In other words, you are paying more for less.

Autodesk has more than enough money to force Blender back into being the domain of hobbyists (by way of combining good permanent licensing deals with heavily cranked up R&D). I do not think the many users who picked up Blender are going to send it to the recycle bin in response to this.

3 Likes

It depends. The switch of Photoshop to a subscription, for example, was controversial, but for hobbyists it was arguably an improvement from before. The license for Photoshop, before, was of about 700$ per version, which is a huge amount. If you wanted also Lightroom or Illustrator, you had to pay again a similar amount. Next update? You pay again.

With the subscription, to give an example, you get Photoshop and Lightroom for the same price of Netflix (it’s about 12$ per month if I’m not mistaken). Yes, you don’t own it, but it is a more affordable option now than before. And in fact, I think most hobbyists before were not purchasing a Photoshop license :pirate_flag:. This is to say: it depends. Sometimes it can be better.

A small monthly payment is better than a huge upfront investment, for people who want to try a software for fun or personal knowledge. And this is where Autodesk falls short: their subscription model is still extremely expensive, and they don’t provide any other alternative method to get to know them (free non commercial version).

2 Likes

So what happens if you only open it for 30mins, do some tweaks, a quick render and close it. Does that count as a full day?

Basically it just sounds like a new twist on subscription, much like how the finance industry wanted to re-invent lay-buy and so you end up with Afterpay or any of those other take it home and then pay if off. It’s all just a means to get you to spend/buy more without actually realising you are now spending much more then you can really afford once all the ‘bills’ get paid off each month. Then do it all with a swipe of your phone and it’s not like you are spending money at all.

Anyway, off topic, I’m old and still live by the theory, if you can’t afford to pay in cash, in full, then you can’t afford it. Rant over.

2 Likes

As a Linux user, the vast proportion of my body of work is being held hostage by Adobe, forcing me to download and install Windows, thankfully I have a perpetual license for that, pay for, download and install Adobe Suite just so I can access MY files on the odd occasion I want to or an old client asks. Luckily I am no longer a working Graphic Designer and part of the shitshow that this niche of computer aided design has become. As a qualified lithographer and typologyphile, I weep to see the state of the industry has been reduced to by bad, sad, clueless, cheap, uneducated designers…

3 Likes

I feel you :frowning: It is one of the reasons that brought me back to Windows, even if I use Krita a lot. Even Affinity isn’t there (and they miss a big opportunity).

Autodesk can su… [insert rude offer here which I wouldn’t actually want to follow up on even if Autodesk unexpectedly expressed an interest].

If I were a hobbyist who wanted to try out some commercial software, I’d do a subscription for a month or two rather than this Flex BS. I hate subscriptions, I’d much rather have a watermarked free trial version or somesuch thing, but I’d do subscription if there was no other way. This I won’t do. Autodesk is on my ignore list even though I actually really like Maya, because they’re too damn big and too damn greedy. They never had a good offer – yearly licensing sucked too.

Yeah, pretty much. The subscription model might’ve convinced some of them to go legit because you do get a halfway decent deal and have access to the latest versions.

Me, I’m less interested in the latest and greatest (unless it’s truly innovative new software). I want to own software so in 10 years I can still open the files I created with it. I have an ancient copy of Lightroom and I am fine with that; I don’t need the newest bells and whistles, it does what I need it to do. If I transition, it will be to FOSS software in all those cases where I am still hanging onto old software. I’ve done it for most already – the FOSS equivalents have made great strides, and unless I start to make serious money with my hobby, I’m no longer buying commercial.

1 Like