Maya to Blender pipeline issues

Hi everyone,

I’m working on a game for a class of mine, and the teacher recommended that we use blender as our engine. I was fine with that, as was my programmer, however I’m starting to have some issues. I’ve done some research and I haven’t been able to find anything on the subject, so I thought I should post here. I’m sorry if there was an answer that I didn’t find, or if this is a terribly noobish question.

I’m trained in Maya, I like it and that’s the software that I’ve been using to make our art assets. However, I can’t seem to find a way to import animations into Blender. I have to admit that I’m not really familiar with blender, as I’m not the one working directly with it on a day to day basis. I’ve also asked my teacher for help, but he hasn’t responded yet. Is there any set pipeline for getting an animation (especially one with a full rig set up in Maya) into Blender?

Thanks! :smiley:

You kinda limited on just how much will transfer between different programs (That’s true with any 3d app, not just maya -> blender)

Your best bet might be to look into how much will transfer using the collada format.

You might want to wait till 2.48 comes out. (which is in the process of getting prepped for release for download at this very moment) I believe it has some bug fixes related to collada, as well as a massive upgrade to the game logic. realtime rendering, and physics solver that might interest you.

All the development that took place for the Apricot project is in this new release. If you want to see some of what is now possible for game development in blender, you might want to take a look at that project if you have not already done so.

http://www.yofrankie.org/

Thanks, I’ll have to check out Collada. My partner is actually coding everything in 2.48, I’ll have to get a copy from her :slight_smile: