MB-Lab Release for Blender 2.80

I wouldn’t have thought it was possible for you guys to take MB-Lab’s functionality and give users the ability to apply that to their own figures. That’s impressive.

Although, I would’ve gone with MB-Create for the name. Totally irrelevant, I just like how it sounds.

@animate1978 Hi, Is there a tutorial to create assets for mb lab ?

I finally did it :stuck_out_tongue: I dive into the python code and I found the solution

Hi there, I’ve been following this addon since Manuel was working on it, and have always wondered about something regarding the AGPL license.

Say I use MBLab to create a ‘high poly’ model, then create my own game res (retopologized) mesh based on it for use in normal map baking, but don’t use the original MBLab models or textures in my game, is it still required to include the MBLab mesh in my game’s files ala the AGPL? I’m not against doing so, just wondering so I don’t screw something up. (Also apologize if this has already been asked, or is a silly/stupid question, but I’ve been skimming for quite awhile now and haven’t found this asked yet.)

Thanks for all your hard work!

Can MBL make a 1-year old baby? It’s been ages since I used MBL (not installed currently) but I don’t think it was possible then. So is it now?

Nope it’s 18 years the minimum

The algorithm for MB-Lab is pretty much coded to work with adult human models.

The way MB-Lab works is that it essentially appends a model from a blend into your scene. Using the algorithm that was developed by Manuel Bastioni, which we cannot change without some serious breakage, this morphs the model to change the vertices around.

In order to have younger models the whole project would have to be changed which not only do I not know how to do at this time but do not have the skills to do so either.

It would require a new model, and a new algorithm as well as morphs to accommodate as such.

Simply put it would not be feasible to do this without serious work to MB-Lab as a whole.

That’s cool bro. For the distance said baby will be viewed at, I can prolly pull this off with some quick sculpting. Thanks for the detailed answer. Of course, if anyone has a baby mesh (preferably rigged) they can feel free to share one if they like. ; - )

Hey @Norka,

an alternative to MBLab is the MakeHuman open source project. It’s a stand-alone, but has a Blender Add-on for importing. It covers many ethnicities and all ages of characters ( though not new-born babies - though you could certainly mod them in Blender to look that way), and you can select from various Rig types ( Simple game engine ~ to ones with face bones). It’s not as sophisitciated as MBL but for quick characters it’s ideal - good geometry, textured and useable rigging for basic posing/animating.

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/content/downloads.html

Cheers,
Dj

Nice! Thanks DJ, I forgot all about MakeHuman! That should do the trick. : - )

1 Like

Hi Blender Artists, I recently found out that our planned new base mesh for mb-lab isn’t going to work out due to licensing issues, And we need a permissive Base Mesh for Men and Women that are relatively similar in topology. that isn’t super muscular and somewhat detailed. As well as having the option for the meshes to be less than 32K faces.

Nice name btw…

Anywho, I am not %100 sure about that, I would LIKE to say that would be possible, I am not too familiar with retopologizing meshes as I am not exactly a great modeller at all. As you technically won’t be using the actual meshes and textures I would like to say that yes this would be workable, I am not a lawyer though of course.

This question has not really been asked, though a LOT of comments are in this thread so it may have I just don’t remember. No question is silly or stupid IMO.

Procedural Shader for The New base mesh i’ve been working on

you can learn more about it here as well as download it

1 Like

So some development in the MB-Dev framework that is part of MB-Lab 1.7.8 (developmental version)… I have been working on getting “Toon Girl” into MB-Lab and have had some minimal success.

This is the model in question, an early attempt at integrating the model into MB-Lab. In the beginning I had the object and mesh name as Toon_girl_v0101 but this was changed later on.

This is part of the process of developing the data that MB-Lab needs in order for the model to properly be seen and used. Notice that there are multiple armatures and models in this shot, not what you want to do and later in the process of this I ended up making a new scene and appending the model then overwriting that saved file with a “proper” file.

As there are no texture maps for this model and it uses procedural shading these fields are left empty, but in the current builds of MB-Lab realistic humans these fields would be filled with texture map names.

Here is an empty scene with the Toon Girl test model part of the list of characters MB-Lab can use.

Here the model, after being appended into “humanoid_library.blend” has been added to the scene.

Notice that it has not entered into the pre-finalized state that the normal MB-Lab models have, this is because much of the data required for that is not in place such as morphs and expressions.

This is the terminal output during an early attempt.

For some reason the materials attached to the models are causing an error, so that is something that needs to be decoded. Not sure what the problem is there but this error has been present since the early times of developing new models for MB-Lab.

In that screenshot there is also an error about the vertex file not coherent with f_tn01 (the name of the new Toon Girl model now)… this has been corrected as I worked on this.

The model is not in any way ready to be added to the repository though as it does not have the weight data written even, which allows the skeleton to be used. Even though I have weight painted it all, the way that the code is written I would need to repaint as the MB-Dev code reads vertex weights with a “base_” in front of each entry, this way it converts it to the normal MB-Lab weight data. At least that is how I am interpreting the documentation and the code?? More stuff such as joint data needs to be written.

You can see the documentation that Teto has written here : https://github.com/animate1978/MB-Lab/issues/264

It is long and quite detailed.

The short story is that “Toon Girl” is about halfway done with development in MB-Lab. After which MB-Lab 1.7.8 should be released, the code still needs additional testing and I want to showcase the first use case of MB-Dev in this version… that with some work anyone can essentially build a new character that is compatible with MB-Lab.

This will pave the way for an overhaul of MB-Lab for version 1.8.0 when I am planning on replacing the models, allowing for these to be licensed in a way that can be used for game engines.

That is all I have for today though.

4 Likes

Thank you for all the hard work on this.

very exciting stuff, the base mesh shader i have shown before was designed to prepare for a new base mesh in 1.8, Completely Written from Scratch to use as little textures as possible and exponentially more skin features

So today was the first time since ever that I have had success with the weights in MB-Lab.

As some you may recall the earliest scripts we used for exporting weight data to JSON did not go well… here are some early screenshots…

Needless to say this is not desired.

One of the tools Teto has programmed is to transfer weight data to JSON, so that the body can move according to the base skeleton. Without them you move a bone and the mesh remains the same. The weights have to be named with a “base_” in front of them in order for it to work right.

I had already painted the weights and then renamed them as such. Then I saved the weight data using the MB-Dev “weight groups tools”. It exported a 4.6 MB file as JSON.

The formatting is a bit weird but whatever. I can deal with strange formatting as long as it works.

The result, after you add Toon Girl to a new scene is now this!

There is a slight smear in one of the fingers so I need to edit accordingly but compared to the past, this a huge improvement!

So more work needs to be done of course to Toon Girl before release, there is still the morphs and expressions that need to be created because without them you still get tossed in a finalized state, with errors upon creation of the character so there is no real way to edit this character as of now. Progress not perfection.

That is all I have for today.

3 Likes

Did a small animation with Toon Girl. The animation was a BVH file I have sitting on my hard drive. The slight mesh smear is still present, and obvious, but I wanted to see what it would look like animated.

Remember this is only a test of a prototype. This is not a final result.

it looks good, but will we have an option for rigify skeleton so we can use the rig for easy animation/posing, Since that is what i intended to use for the new realistic base mesh in 1.8.0.

After careful consideration it is decided that the work on “Toon GIrl” will be pushed back to another version other than MB-Lab 1.7.8, simply because I have been experiencing errors and issues trying to get it to work properly with the MB-Lab engines.

So in the meantime I will be testing out the new features of the MB-Dev framework…

The MB-Lab panel is separated into two parts now, MB-Lab and MB-Dev…
Below are the “Model Edition” of MB-Dev.

Simple Morph Creation

This will allow you to add new morphs to MB-Lab characters.

Combined Morph Creation

The combined morphs are combinations from simple morphs that overlap, and are in the same category.

Age Mass Tone Creation

They are also used to create variation of the body as a whole : Age, Mass, Tone. And they are also used to create presets, to help user.

Character Creation

This will allow you to make new Phenotypes and Presets.

Expressions Creation

This is pretty obvious, it allows the creation of new base expressions.

facial_expressions_creation
Facial Expressions Creator

This tool combines base expressions

From the testing I have done using the Manuel MB-Lab models these tools work very well. The documentation is being worked on so that people can understand the process though because it is quite a bit to understand.

I myself, as I am not the programmer for these tools, have to understand the process as well. So far I have experienced very few issues using the Manuel models of MB-Lab.

As for the “Model Integration” part of MB-Dev… well that will be a post for another day.

1 Like