McLaren Mercedes SLR - updated regularly

I’ve finally got round to doing a car (well, a real one anyway).

Anyway, here is my progress so far, only tris where they won’t damage the geomery (virtually equilateral):

Alex

Attachments

Excellent so far, but the hood is sort of concave, the pictures I saw the hood is slightly convex. And the fender arches are too smooth, you may want to sharpen them. Good subsurface technique though.

I saw one of those in Sweden when it was the kings birthday… That day there were all kinds of cool cars like the Hummer H2 limousine and Porsches’ and BMW Z4 and Z3s’… But back to the topic, yes the hood looks a bit weird. It sticks out a bit too much or then it’s too fat… Great choice for modeling :wink:

Finally a bit more progress…

Some dodgy seams - notably the door, but I’m trying to get the bodywork blocked out first.

Alex

Attachments

Great looking! Can’t wait to see it finished!

Bit of an update… two shots with different lighting to bring out any issues?

C and C?

Alex

<edit: added front shot with reworked seams and redesigned front wing to fit in with photos - the blueprints I have are inaccurate>

Attachments

you must watch out from triangles in the mesh and there’s one problem left. you must try to get more attention to poly flow, because later you may have big problems with unwanted bumps.
but don’t stop! just follow poly flow and everything will be ok! good luck!

If you could point out the places I’d be grateful, you look at these things too long and you can no longer notice the flaws.

'nother update below.

Thanks

Alex

Attachments

dang, nice progress, cant wait to see the end of this 1

Thanks!

WIP on the front headlights:

Link to one of my refs (warning: flash - broadband only)
http://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/pc/web_special_en/flash.html

C&C?

Alex

<edit: added front view with almost done headlights.>

Attachments

Perfect so far. Keep it up!

grtz,
Gallardo

very nice…good job…

MM SLR, now with 100% more front windscreen, front spoiler, finished front Merc badge and several smaller revisions and tweaks inc. to the paint and a different (M@dcow) angmap:

Thanks for the encouragement!

C&C?

Alex

<edit: little note - this is mainly based on the ‘original’ SLR, rather than the significantly altered 722 edition
New pic using better AA and different camera lens>

<edit2: in response to the below post new piccy added with settings and scribbles. Apologies for my handwriting>

Attachments

Very nice, mind showing ur rendering techniques