.mdl files

How do i imprt .mdl files into blender? please and thank you.

There are many types of files that are .mdl files. Half-life uses the extensions, it is a way of storing molecular chemical information, and Neverwinter Nights also calls their models .mdl files

Which one would you need?

I would like to get one that alows me to open the half life files.

Is there one that opens the hl mdl. files?

can’t anybody help…

I don’t know. It seems there aren’t many HL modders in the community :slight_smile: I suppose you would need HL 2 functionality?

You would need to decompile the models into .smd format, then you could import them. I sugest looking for a “Half-Life model decompiler”.

.mdl has many different versions, so it would be hard to write a script that can import all 30 or so versions.

Dang ive searched and searched but i still cant find it:( for hl 1 (though my comp can easily handle hl2)

So is there no one who knows what i can do?:confused:

Use this to decompile the .mdl files. Then you can open it and export it to a blender-importable format.

Dudes, it’s been a long time since anybody posted on this… so, does anybody know how to open/import FSX (Flight Simulator X) .mdl files? Thanks!

http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11701

Thanks dude! I’ll try it ASAP.

Hi, if you come to any positive results let me know…

Not yet. Still working on it.

Might also be of interest:

Any progress?

No, sorry, not really. I’m going to try and get FS9 to see if that works.
Also, I can’t be sure about FSX, it’s acting all weird, like a corrupt instalation, so the models might be damaged or something.
Long story short - It doesn’t work as any format.

Hi David
I suggest you get in touch with Arno at FSDeveloper, as it seems that he’s also working towards finding a solution so other tools then gMax and/or Studio Max can be used, envolving Collada…
Best regards,
Jorge

Thanks! I used to work for a while with gmax, before I found Blender on a magazine, although I haven’t been able to find any edit mode with that. But I think I’ll find a way to transfer it to blender!
Thanks again.
Best regards too!