Meadow

(Nitram_2000) #1

In my quest to create some nice nature scenes, I decided to go through Andrew Price’s meadow tutorial today.

After lots of messing about I came up with this.

Tomorrow I’ll start to create some trees with MTree and put them in. I’m thinking of creating a forest entry in the background.

I also just used the mist pass to comp that in over rather than using the volumetric fog that he creates. The main reason is that I’ve never used volumetrics. After playing with his settings, the render times and noise were going to kill me, so I thought it would be way easier to do it in the comp.

So, the todo list is to put more grass in the foreground, make some rocks, and of course, some trees.

This is also just lit with some sun lights. I’ll maybe play with a HDRi instead to see if it makes much difference.

(Jeannot) #2

The grass looks awesome! I also love the mist effect.

My only critic would be that the path looks really un-natural… not even man made :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe sculpting it a bit and adding ground texture variations to it, maybe also a less even grass falloff would help. The grass sort of shrinks near the path and it shouldn’t really, perhaps have it flattened on the ground like it was stepped on.

Good job :slight_smile: Keep at it, it an awesome start!

(Nitram_2000) #3

Thanks for the feedback. Any is welcome.

The grass is created using the Graswald plugin. I can’t get over how good it is. I bought it last week and I’ve been obsessed with it. Worth every penny.

Here’s a quick render I just did with a HDRi map. It’s pretty quick and dirty, so the shadows don’t match the first image, but I really like to work with HDRi’s. Mind you, at just 128 samples there are a ton of fireflies. Thankfully the fog hides them but any other tips for crushing the fireflies is welcome.

Maybe I’ll change the direction of the path completely so that it comes from the bottom left corner and brings the eye through the image.

Anyway, keep the feedback coming.

(Jeannot) #4

Grasswald rocks! (I also have it, been a while :stuck_out_tongue: )

HDRI’s are always better and more realistic!

Using cycles, simply edit the light paths, the defaults are quite high for nothing. You can easily crank those down and get faster renders with less fireflies :wink: Also using lower samples with denoise helps.

LightPaths

(Nitram_2000) #5

Thanks for the settings tips. I’ll have a look at them tomorrow. I remember seeing a Price video about them last year when I started but I duly forgot them all, and, to be honest, I’m pretty reluctant to go back through any of his videos. Whilst I’d still learn loads from them, his style is too slow for me now.

I also don’t mind cranking up the samples, but there’s nothing worse than waiting 20 minutes for a render and then still finding fireflies all over the place.

(Nitram_2000) #6

Wow! I’ve never really seen the effect of the denoise, but man, is it impressive. 250 samples with denoise is vastly cleaner than just 500 samples. And at almost half the render time. Whilst test rendering I think I’ll drop the samples even further, but for now I’ve found a happy spot.

Time for the dog’s morning walk and then back at it :slight_smile:

(alf0) #7

this looks nice !!!

(Nitram_2000) #8

So, I ported the whole thing to 2.8 once i got Graswald working in it since the MTree addon is way more advanced there.

I scaled the ground up a ton. I went for some real depth so I can add quite the forest.

I changed the direction of the path and sculpted it a little but I’ve messed up the weight painting a bit on the path side due to that. I’ve only ever sculpted during one tutorial about a year ago, so I’ve no clue if I did something wrong or what. lol

I’ll block in some trees later and then add some rocks. I’m also thinking about changing the ground texture to a procedural dirt and then using graswald to scatter some debris and small stones over it.

ETA: I also pulled back the AO on this render, but that’s something I can really play with once the scene is complete.

(Nitram_2000) #9

Okay, I fixed the weight painting. I’m not sure now…

I think the grass at the paths edge is too long. I’ll add another grass system and just paint it in there and use smaller particles to give it the effect of it sometimes being trodden upon.

(Nitram_2000) #10

Now with some rocks.

I still haven’t gotten on to those trees. And the rock on the right doesn’t even look right, so that’ll have to come out too.

Is there a way to view my weight painting of my path so I can position elements in without overlapping?

(Lapland) #11

This is looking so good, keep it up. are you still working on the path?

(Nitram_2000) #12

Thanks.

I’ll redo the path for sure. I’m a total beginner at sculpting so I’ll leave it until later. But for sure I’ll change the falloff from the grass. I’ve been looking at some reference pictures so I’ve got kind of a better idea of what I want to do.

Today, trees for sure :smile:. At least a few.

(Nitram_2000) #13

Populated the first few trees and added some more flowers to the main grass.

(Nitram_2000) #14

So, trees are finally added.

I’m also still playing with the general flower distribution a bit. Here’s one for now. Another render with different distribution is about to start. Render takes 30 minutes now, so I’ll take the dog out and post when I get back.

(Jeannot) #15

Good job! This looks much better :slight_smile:
Keep at it, this will look awesome :smile:

(Nitram_2000) #16

Thanks. I mean, initially the fog was following the tutorial, and later it was to hide the fact that I had no sky background, but it does help to blend it in through the trees.

ETA: and of course I won’t cut the top of the trees in the final image :smile:

(Nitram_2000) #17

Okay, so no I have a big problem.

I duplicated the ground plane so I could sculpt on it and still have a backup.

There was something strange going on with the grass placement but I repainted the weight paint groups, and yet it was still happening. So, I deleted the sculpt plane and just wanted to return to using my original plane. Now it’s only viewable in edit mode and it’s not even rendering.

I think this might have something to do with GrasWald losing it’s shit when I had duplicate particle systems or duplicate planes with the same particle systems on it.

I can go back a version or two, but I’m super frustrated. I still want to sculpt the pathway. Maybe I’ll try it directly on the original plane this time.

Suspicious - Today’s filenumber was 13… dun dun duuuun!!!

(Nitram_2000) #18

And yet another version. I moved the camera a bit to reveal my repeating tree tops, lol. Those will need to be fixed first.

I also separated the foreground ground from the BG ground so it’s more manageable. Now I can sculpt it a bit more to my liking. I also have a new ground texture that I like better. That will be applied to the next version. I hope!!

The denoise is also killing serious detail so any suggestions for those settings are very welcome. I’m currently rendering on 250 samples with the default denoise and it’s taking approx. 30 mins. To think that I want to animate this :joy::rofl:

(Cjradical) #19

Nice scene! It reminds me of walking up in the blueberry fields on a misty morning in the spring/early summer.

(Nitram_2000) #20

Thanks.

I’m still super unhappy with the trees but Inhad them looking better and then the scene went ham. So much tweaking to do again. I’ll try and squeeze in a few hours next week to fix that. I guess then I’ll add my sky and leave it with that. I’ll render out an animation too. There are some nice trees in a park nearby where I think I might try and photoscan one or two to stick smack bang in the foreground.