Measurement in Blender

This is a real thorn in the side for me.
Real world measurements would be extremely helpful especially when doing architectural 3d drawings.
I know this has been gone through before, but I am just wondering is there any news on when or if this is going to be an option?
Rule of thumb is sometimes just not good enough.
Yes, I know you can use dxf files or images etc.
What if someone is leaning over your shoulder saying “I dont want that wall 3.2m long, I want it 4.7m”
Who is going to go through that process just to move one line?
And no I dont want workarounds, like holding a scale ruler up to the screen…

blender is not a cad program.

however you can work with artificial dimensions when you turn on the edge length display.

Cant you just use the xyz location and simply decide on the scale your self…then just stick to it? for example you could say 0.000 to 1.000 is a meter ?

You could use BME to work with Meter or Feet
and Caliper script fr dimensions and arrows

Salutations

Here are some links to get you to the scripts RJ2005 mentioned:

BMAE
Caliper

Also, check out this thread if you haven’t already . . . may be some useful tips/tools in there.

vega_moo Good idea actually. I will fiddle with it a bit and see how it goes.
I would rather not work with scripts but I will give both those two a bash, and see how it goes.
I have nearly read that thread right through already.

I will just point out one little thing. Blender does not have anything built in to handle this issue, and that is what my problem is. Just a rant really.

I completely agree. It is just so basic to be able to know how big something is. I mean, if you know the location of the points in 3d space, why can’t you just have something that tells you the length of that edge?

If I define 1 grid as a 10m or 1 grid as 1m, do they make a difference when it comes to rendering, filesize and overall performance? Bigger the slower?

If I define 1 grid as a 10m or 1 grid as 1m, do they make a difference when it comes to rendering, filesize and overall performance? Bigger the slower?

That would be easy to test, but I think the obvious answer is no, because performance overall is affected by the number of verts/faces, not the scale of them. The only issue scale causes to my limited knowledge is the camera clipping in view and rendering a large scene - the camera clip start/end needs to be set according to how far and how close your view goes…

my .02, not expert but just observed :slight_smile:
Craigo

I completely agree. It is just so basic to be able to know how big something is. I mean, if you know the location of the points in 3d space, why can’t you just have something that tells you the length of that edge?

You can turn on Edge Length, Edge Angles, & Face Area in the Mesh Tools 1 Panel (far right) in the Editing Context in Edit Mode.