Mech

Hello. :slight_smile: This is my first post on these forums. I’m pretty much a novice modeller, but I do know Blender pretty well. I’m not a texturer so please only critique on the modeling, as I’m just using default Blender clouds and noise. Rendered in YafRay:

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/5105/mechyy7.jpg

the general design is pretty sweet…but I doubt it could move XD… and the materials need work as you said, modeling is quite good for a novice though…keep it up…I suggest modeling each part separately for mechanical stuff actually… like separate objects…it helps you to get a grasp of how it would really work to give it that extra bit of realism and such…=D

Thanks for the advice. I actually did make it of different objects…I just didn’t think of the mechanical side of it. Here’s one I made before that last mech:

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/3042/mechzk7.jpg

looks like porsche design has finally got into designing mechs…all hail the arrival of the minimalistic mechs…

actually good work, the lack of detail has actually given it a style…its good

the first one looks way unbalanced… Also i see bit of “ooh its shiny, it must be good enought” syndrome here. :wink: Pump up the details… a lot. And it’l turn out good. Just detail out more platings… joints… hydraulics… guns… now they are just very primitive shapes only.

Other than that. looks promising start. :slight_smile:

Porsche? I don’t see any resemblence. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks Eradicor. I’ll try to add details in there.

The Mad Dog’s limbs look a little too spindly, bulk those up.

The Timber Wolf’s cockpit doesn’t protrude far enough, extend that a bit and add some more detail to the body and missile racks.

Otherwise, you’ve got the basic shapes down well enough and you’ve shown good taste in Battlemechs. :cool:

I still havn’t expanded the cockpit, as Shogoki suggested, but here’s an update! Ignore the materials, I was experimenting.

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/1417/timberwolfzw8.jpg

EDIT: I just realized it’s too dark to see the missile racks. I’ll render and upload another image.

OK, sorry for the delay, I left the computer and accidently forgot about it…Anyways, here’s a quicker render without AO and SSS:

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1620/timberwolf2qs4.jpg

he’s looking cool, materials still need work, but I’m assuming your working on the model now. The missile racks look too thin atm. that’s about it I think

are the curve surfaces intentionally set as solid or should they be smooth? prolly smoothed curved surfaces would look better…and btw, porsche design is into more than just cars…they r into product/industrial design as well, from cellphones to shoes to watches to bags to coffe makers to pens to tennis rackets to sunglasses to cigarette lighters to digital navigation systems (okay, nuff :D)

Obviously no other Mechwarrior fans on here. I think it’s a pretty good attempt at the Mad Cat. But your right the cockpit needs expanding and the missle racks are thin. Also the laser cannons on your Mad Dog are too long. Other then that it’s sweetness. Keep the battletech love flowing. :stuck_out_tongue:

are the curve surfaces intentionally set as solid or should they be smooth? prolly smoothed curved surfaces would look better…and btw, porsche design is into more than just cars…they r into product/industrial design as well, from cellphones to shoes to watches to bags to coffe makers to pens to tennis rackets to sunglasses to cigarette lighters to digital navigation systems (okay, nuff :D)

I had it on solid on purpose…but I tried smooth and it doesn’t look bad.
So what makes an object porsche like?

Obviously no other Mechwarrior fans on here. I think it’s a pretty good attempt at the Mad Cat. But your right the cockpit needs expanding and the missle racks are thin. Also the laser cannons on your Mad Dog are too long. Other then that it’s sweetness. Keep the battletech love flowing. :stuck_out_tongue:

I used to play MechWarrior years ago! It was so fun. I’ll make the adjustments suggested. :wink: Thanks.