Mechanical Blender

Was the problem solved ?

http://www.mechanicalblender.org/static/reference.html#mesh-dimensions

Thanks, @okavango

had the problem been solved ?

is there a new built with new functions added ?

thanks
happy bl

I’ve uploaded another video showing up snapping to geometry points (ends, centers), next will be tangents and perpendicular, and combined with planes and dimensions will allow to perfom sketchs, although at this stage some sketch tools will be missing like extend and trim.

There have been some refactoring on snap on bf blender, at this moment we have not merged this changes, maybe @mano-wii can give his opinion about this work, and what are the intentions of snap tools in bf-blender.

I submitted a presentation proposal for blender conference 2016 and it is rejected

"

Selecting content for a Blender Conference is always a difficult task. We receive a large number of proposals and when reviewing them, we have to balance novelty, quality and time slots among many other aspects.

Unfortunately, we can not accept your proposal into this year’s program.

"

Sorry to hear that mague. I consider your work to be one of most important i’ve seen on this forum so far. And i still can’t wrap my head around how people don’t see this. There is so much space for blender to advance in precise snap modeling and engineering sketching and so easy to accomplish. I really miss the speed and agility of architectural modeling apps for my workflow that blender, although fast, still misses. But i am sticking to it because of its potential to become exactly as powerful as those apps and better. All the factors are there, somebody just needs to put it all together, like pitiwazou did for retopo or masterxenon for hard surface modeling.

The problem is that because of sketch or cad’s ease of use there is a really small number of users that migrated from those apps to blender. They don’t have an obvious reason to. I myself did it for a irrational reason.

This is why blender users don’t have a good measure of how efficient and fast blender can be for engineering sketching and concept generation, not to mention dimensioning and construction presentation. The vast majority of forum members are hobby artists, general modelers and visual effects users. They usually only compare it to max and maya against which in cost / benefit parameters blender surely wins and they are satisfied.

Most of hardworking architectural and mechanical engineering users are sticking to easiest solutions (fast and proven CAD apps and agile sketchUp) and don’t want to make risky adventures with blender. Blender still misses standard snapping features, a basic drawing tool, a proper array and grouping system, good linking and asset manager, a conventional material editor, sectioning and vector export for fast and comprehensive architectural sketching. The sad thing is that it already has all the elements for this and very few people see the need to put it all together. The good examples are the people behind Fluid designer and your team.

The architectural and engineering community on this forum itself is also not quite enthusiastic. I can count only a few members that continually support these kind of enhancements. I don’t mean this as a offense but as a constructive critique. I guess aside of being much too introvert and individual, they gave up upon realizing the way things work around here and the balance of interest. Cudos to matali, juhaw, mano-wii and others that keep this discussion alive.

I guess it is solely up to us to promote and slowly develop these kind of enhancements. I have the entire framework envisioned in my mind but too little time and knowledge to program it myself. Thank you for your continuous effort with this project and contribution to blender workflow. I can see exactly how important your work is, i appreciate it and will follow in the future.

On this note, i am preparing a pair of simple new tools and i will probably publish in some time. Unfortunately it is going extremely slow because i have my everyday architectural practice which takes an enormous amount of time. It is possible i will release another interesting command prototype in short time…

mauge,
no matter… sooner or later this will get noticed
already seen few artist start using rhino, fusion360 or onshape along with their standard DCC tolls, the need is there. Tho i too prefer and find it better when tools are refined so that even kids can’t break it :wink:
Would be a great achievement if some of the tools could get in Blender 2.8. Stay strong.

Okavango
Well put.

Thank you for being great

I would suggest a reason this will remain on the fringe is that Ton considers Blender to be ‘for artists’ and Ton pulls rank and acts as the sole arbiter of Blender content. Despite Blender apparently being open and having users with diverse interests it is to be focussed on movie making and other pet projects.
It does not surprise me your Conference pitch was rejected on the basis it is a ‘novelty’ i.e. not considered a genuine use of Blender but deemed an undesirable/alien/superfluous development direction, perhaps much like the coloured wireframes issue was suffocated on a personal whim.
There are aspects of how Blender is run that very much piss me off… Sooner or later there is going to be a show down about these issues and I don’t intend to lose.

I think that an entity like blender foundation / institute is important because it ensures that code commitments are according rules and promotes the application. but is true that controls the development direction. I was suggested by Ton to contribute to other existing opensource applications like freecad. But i like blender and most of development of this project could benefit a part of actual blender users, and extense it’s usage covering more areas, and being more productive.

thanks for your suport and reflexions!

A bunch of silly speculation here. There were a lot of talks submitted to the conference, some got in, some didn´t. I´m sure it wasn´t an easy decision for Ton. Why must everything automatically be turned into a we versus them argument?

> A bunch of silly speculation here

Bugger off. Why do we have the same people circulating through the forums trolling others opinions
and ruining threads? Why must you automatically make this your business to interpret and comment on?

Not only do we have Ton making assumptions about the community without their input we have people like yourself who don’t know squat speaking for Ton.

If he has told @mauge to go contribute to Freecad rather than Blender on top of relegating his work to a ‘novelty’ status that gets my back up…

@ mauge
can you give us an idea when a new version with new features will be available ?

there is nothing wrong with an SVN
the only concern I have is be able to get new Version function of the latest Bl updates.

thanks
happy bl

Muage: I doubt that there is anything against CAD related tools getting into Blender, especially something as genuinely useful as your snap improvements. I work in Games, and still use Blender’s snap tools all the time, and I find it infuriating that I need to keep adjusting the snap element and pivot point settings in order to get a sensible snap result. What you are working on looks like it solves a lot of these issues in addition to adding a lot of extra power and features.

Anyway, I hope your talk not being accepted doesn’t discourage your from working on your tools and trying to get them mainlined at some point in the future.

Oh, I´m so sorry I hurt your sensibilities! Bringing common sense and moderation is ruining? To each their own, some people prefer to whine I suppose…

I´m interested in these functionalities too, don´t check on the thread so often, but I don´t see conspiracy behind every decision, it´s just counter productive. I suppose anyone who doesn´t agree with you should just bugger off then… .Why wouldn´t these tools not be for artists? I can see a ton of use myself.

What´s the strategy been to work towards inclusion into master so far?

Sorry @ape you’ll have to argue with yourself about it.

>Why wouldn´t these tools not be for artists? Exactly…

Its apparent to me Blenderheads have a looming confrontation with our esteemed chairman Ton and its very reminiscent of Steve Jobs becoming a problem at Apple in 1984. I won’t sit by a have any more developers stymied or walked by his… well we won’t go there in this thread…

I hope @mauge is encouraged by the community response to his work to keep going despite how the BF sees it currently.

@big fan I think the work of Ton is great promoting blender although it’s position around cad features, which was well expressed in this email https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2016-March/046945.html
@BrilliantApe The reasons for developing apart of BF, can be found in the firsts messages of this tread. Before starting a fork, I tried to submit a patch for snapping enhancements following justas proposal https://developer.blender.org/T45734 , which was accorded to best way for apply in 2.8 . I also tried to get a BF project.

@RickyBlender The work is currently in sync with bf master.

Maybe i’ll try to perform a proposal next year :wink:

No need to take the conversation in that direction. The most natural thing for the devs was to reject the proposal. We are far too small and inactive group to show the real amount of interest among engineers for blender and the development team is disconnected from the architectural and mechanical concept workflow and the fact that there are brilliant medium-precision hybrid modelling apps with CAD enhancements, like sketchUp. Their focus is on a totally different field.

A friend of mine who has an architectural firm heard a lot about blender and it’s super capable rendering and material system and decided to try and introduce blender to the workflow. He told me that when he turned it on, he felt like his arms and legs were removed. He wasn’t able to select an object. Let alone draw a box where he wanted to. I am helping him to configure blender for the pipeline with my setups and addons.

Another friend, also an architect who is struggling with blender, made a similar remark - ‘if you want to measure something in blender, you cannot, but if you need an addon to make elves’ ears you will surely find one’

I work with three other architects now and they are amazed at how responsive rendering and material system is. At the same time they can’t believe that you select with a right click, that there is a delete confirmation and that such an app doesn’t have basic drawing and measurement tools. Not to mention there is a nice snapping feature with no midpoint or basepoint implementation durring transformations.

In my professional time i met hundreds of architects, you would’nt believe how many have the same concept workflow. They use simple hybrid cubic apps with CAD elements for concept sketching and client related visualization. If they knew there was an open source app with lightning fast material and rendering system and simple CAD features they would surely migrate. A lot of my friends took interest in blender but gave up.

The video shows up geometry snaps, like perpendiculars and tangents.

Well done mauge, a snapping revolution! :wink:

All you need now is a good designer to come up with some nice snap markers so user can see which is tangent which is endpoint, etc.

Anyway, this is going to be perfect. Will it be possible to call these new operators from python?

I hope that one day your project will land in master build…

Anyway… congratulations!!

I hope so. It’s a fantastic job.