Medieval Stone Tower

This is what I have so far…

I did this with two array modifiers, one for circumference and one for height, set on a bevelled cube and each controlled by an empty. I don’t want to use textures because they can’t handle close-range shots and it would cut off at the top and look unnatural. But this method slows my computer to a crawl. Are there any other methods that I don’t know about that I can use here?

Note: Ignore the holes between the bricks. I haven’t gotten that far yet.

Once the array modifiers are applied, this should speed things up. But I can understand why you are reluctant to apply them.

Medieval stone towers are usually stone and not brick and not exactly fitted perfectly in lines like a brick walls being more pieced together the fit better

@hotzt - I really don’t want to apply it until I have the height and circumference set up right.
@ctdabomb - I know. I also know why. I was planning on using the bricks to get a basic set up and then move, merge and displace until it looks good. Please let me know if there’s a better approach to this. :slight_smile:

I started work on the door frame, and will probably post images of it later today or tomorrow when I get it where I like it.

I think a texture is actually a better idea. Medieval brick textures are easy to tile without being too conspicuous, and they have all the imperfections, fillings, and miscolorations.

Alright, I’ll try that out if I have time. I would like to know, however, if there is anything that would allow the texture to withstand close-up shots if I use the normal and color settings? Perhaps a multi-res modifier with a slight displacement modifier? I’m open to suggestions here. I really need to use Blender more often…

You might want to try out with displacement maps, though I don’t know how to use them. if somebody enlightened us about that, I would really appreciate it!
Anyways, Medieval towers should be bigger at the bottom and thinner towards the top, with visible imperfections. Add some arch shaped windows and openings and some quadrangular wholes (they were used to stick wooden beams in for possible renovations).

Those will be added once I get it looking like a tower and not like a four year old got a copy of Blender.