Medieval style Watermill

Hi RickyBlender,

do you mean the wheel mechanisms inside the mill? In this case, not because they are not visible.
But overall, I like to deal with work that goes into detail if you mean it like that.

For your advice to winter scene, I think we didn’t understand this. This is a Clay Render meaning that it is a clean Clay model without texture that is used to extract the scene and lighting details that are not directly seen - in this case is used a white colour. Alternatively, for example, what is directly modeled and what texture was used.

Hi JamesRay,

thank you for your compliment.

1 Like

sorry forgot the clay render part !

would be nice to make a real snow winter scene

also the inside mechanism would be nice too!

happy bl

That’s fine :grinning:

Thank you for your tips, but I don’t plan anything like that for now.

Happy blending you too.

Hi all,

I am adding a link to Blendernation for everyone who is interested in something of behind the scenes of the process

Good simulation. Did you animate the waterwheel and then let Mantaflow interact with it, or did you find a way to make the Mantaflow liquid both interact with the waterwheel and find a way for the liquid to actually make the waterwheel rotate? I saw a video on an old Blender version where the Blender user said he got the fluid (not Mantaflow) to make his paddle rotate using Bullet physics (I assume Rigid Bodies). When I tried this, the entire domain box acts like a rigid body rather than the fluid that is generated. I tried Flip Fluids, and took the generated animated mesh and got it to rotate the wheel, but only until the next paddle hit the fluid, then the wheel rotated the other way and back and forth, but never got continuous rotation. I would be very interested in the approach you took.

I tried to use all mantaflow and physics and no animation but spent far too long trying to make that work. I ended up adding an angular motor to the wheel with a few keyframes to simulate startup. Even the motor felt like cheating instead of using animation since I really wanted to see if I could get the settings right for a realistic demonstration of the collision physics in Blender. The wheel has collision, fluid and rigid body enabled with fluid type of Effector and Effector Type as Collision (Surface Thickness = 0.5). The water object is a cylinder mesh with Inflow behavior and Use Flow checked. Initial Velocity is enabled with velocity toward the wheel of 0.1 m/s. The Domain is Liquid Type with Liquid and Mesh enabled.

1 Like

Great work!
Great patience!

1 Like

Hi John,

I may disappoint you a little bit, but this is not a simulation. I didn’t plan on animating the scene so I fake the process a bit. This involves the use of multiple particle systems as I mentioned above in the article Behind the scenes.

I created the flowing water using particle systems rather than simulation. I created a small model of splash drops at impact and, using Vertex Paint, I defined individual particles for flowing water, falling water, and, at the water level, for the water splash effect.

Eevee viewport

Cycles render

GIF process - particle systems
Water wheel - process

I haven’t tried a mantaflow simulation yet. So I can’t help you with this problem in this case. :confused:

Have a nice day :wink:

Thank you for your tips maybe helps physicsjohn. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you ANTHRLVL

this scene required a little patience :slightly_smiling_face:

Actually I hit the reply under the other comment by Edward who did have a simulation and it was meant as a question for him. I am not sure why the question bounced to you instead. I will try going to his profile and contacting him that way. You did do very nice work though and I appreciate your detailed work, incliding the handmade shingles.

Thank you for responding. I thought that might be the case. I will keep trying different methods using physics to try to make things rotate, or possibly use a force field with an absorption, although I could not get the absorption object to work in 2.93.3, only in the distant past 2.79. I downloaded 2.93.5 and installed and will try that. If I get physics to work, I will share how I did it, or that it does not seem possible. I guess as animators as long as the final animation looks the same, it does not matter. There is probably no way to simulate something exactly as it really works in our amazing real world. Just being an engineer by profession I find it fascinating to try to simulate the world where I can.