Medieval Town (Post here your buildings if you like)

“I prefer a different approach than 3dmedieval, though I must say his method has its advantages. I select the edges of the arch, which join the wall, duplicate them and then separate and join with the wall. This results in the vertices at the same position in the wall and in the arch.”

True - but you end up with unnecessary faces (bad for me because of my real-time models). But I have used that technique many times to do all sorts of things, so manorial, give it a shot if you have not already.

As far as my technique goes, I’ll add a quick image here in a minute.

On the left, you see the arch highlighted, and in the right, the opening highlighted. Simple opening that the arch covers, inside and out.

Attachments

Nice Technique indeed! Thanks, I’ll try that. Basically you have to extrude up faces (in the walls) and let that space opened right? and then join faces - I assume they would be considerably less than in the joining walls-arches technique.
Nice one, really. Thanks! I may have something for you too, but it will take a while to upload :slight_smile:

Little Update: Facade with some windows (I have created the texture, if you like it and wanna use it just tell me lol) Soon I’ll create a little coat of arms for every single window, like the town hall’ windows in Florence

Attachments

I am working on the perfect method for making walls. It’s getting a little more complex, because as I pursue “next gen” graphics, I need to put more faces in the walls so that I can make them imperfect. My current thinking is this: Make a flat plane, subdivide a few times, remove faces for windows doors etc (rough openings in the case of more complex things like arches), make all of my walls joining the corner verts, then use the solidify modifier to give the walls thickness. No booleans that way either.

Here’s a realtime of a gatehouse I made a wile ago.

Attachments

WOW. Needless to say, it’s great.
Anyway, you have to decide how realistic you want your model, I think. Of course, when a flat surface angles off you can see that it’s a low poly house, but at the same time had you to model stone by stone, you’d go crazy and the model would be unsuitable for a game, for it would be too heavy I think… But I’d like to see some of your “imperfect” walls.

damn that looks pretty amazing :slight_smile: think i will give the architectural modelling a shot myself lol could do with a break from my character at the moment before i prematurely lose my hair :slight_smile:
The solidify modifier sounds like a good way to go :slight_smile: do you keep all the walls etc as seperate objects then?

Well I don’t go the extra mile with the solidify since my buildings do not have an interior :slight_smile: However it is really useful as it takes more than half the work away, throw in one ore two mirror modifiers and your done. Used it on my boat model.

There are not a lot of rules I follow 100% for making a building. Some will have interiors, some won’t. Some will have partial interiors, like an open door into a craftsman’s shop below his house etc. There are a lot of ways to model, and you’ve just got to be aware of whet your trying to do, and use the right tool for the job.

Alrite I have finished the main work on the external parts.
Here is how I’m getting so far

Attachments

A little preview of the main room. A settle (still to be decorated) and a tapestry

Attachments

Looking great. I’m not sure if you started this model on my suggestion, that I need a guild interior. Anyway I will post two screen-shots of the Patrician game for reference what I imagine it might look like.

Feel free to use it and yes, give me some suggestions :slight_smile: I may use it for a walkthrough later on, when I’ll have houses, furniture, streets, a super computer, characters and know how to do so. But in the meanwhile you can use it :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Looking good. Your arches need to be textured to look like they are made from multiple stones, not poured concrete. I have a perfect method for unwrapping arches, but I’ve not made a tut yet. Maybe tomorrow. It’s easy.

Here’s an arch I made a while ago. Real-time. Lighting is a hemi light set to a light purple blueish color, and the a point, set to torch light colored orange. Light defines form, and great lighting (not saying this is, but I get nice comments with this setup) can really help to make your models look real. Diffuse and normal maps. Not sculpted. Learning that now, so future results will be better. 160 faces (medium poly game model).

Attachments

Oooh, that’s looking pretty awesome.

Wow. can’t wait for your tutorial! tell me when it’s ready. Anyway yeah I wanted to create an arch stone texture with photoshop but I can’t figure out how… I thought of drawing some dark grey lines to simulate the effect but neither I know how to perfectly draw an arch shape nor I know how to unwrap it on an arch.
Thus you’ll be, as always, very helpful. As I said I have something for you too, just need to upload the images :slight_smile:

The first thing I can tell you is that to texture an arch, you don’t have to draw an arch. So don’t continue down that path. The unwrap is pretty simple, and the texturing is what you make it. Doesn’t need to be hard. At this point I may do 2 tuts:

• Arch creation without sculpting
  • Arch creation with sculpting

Here’s a quick test of a sculpted arch. Just getting used to sculpting. Definitely not final. Just getting the steps down. The first few are simple.

-Make blocks
-Bevel (apply)
-Join
-Sculpt

That’s as far as I’ve gotten, but I know what’s next.

-Retopo a low poly arch
-Unwrap
-Bake normals and AO from high poly
-Complete texturing, materials etc.

Attachments

City hall interior

Guild interior

Guess what, church interior
I took also screenshots of loaner, bath house, blacksmith, office and market hall (exterior looks very much like 3dmedieval’s one)

What are those screens from?

Wow. Thanks for the tut, I’ll attempt to do that :slight_smile: Did you sculpt those blocks? Doesn’t the file get too heavy to manage then? Nice screens. I’ll take inspiration, even if they look like being more 15th-16th century :slight_smile:

I started sculpting them, as you can see. More work on the top than on the bottom. Just getting used to it.