Meltdown bake tools

There isn’t really a multitude of good UI solutions, so an addon that does a similar thing will have a similar UI.

The addon is now renamed Meltdown.

Of course there’s room. It would have been nice if we could have collaborated on a single baking addon instead. When you announced yours I considered whether or not to stop work. But you never posted a concrete release date, and I simply need the tool for myself, right now, so I wrote it.

Sorry if I missed this… Is it Cycles only or BI as well? Does it only bake high-low mesh or can it be used to bake all maps for a single low-poly mesh?

Cycles only. And baking just lowpoly meshes - I sort of, uh, forgot about that. Shouldn’t be hard to add though :slight_smile:

Edit: added baking LP meshes only. Simply leave the hipoly field empty to do so.

Kudos! Not sure when I can try it out, but I will.

Great Addon Piotr :slight_smile:
Keep up the good work!!

Update: Added ability to toggle individual pairs, passes and jobs on and off.

Awesome! Thanks Piotr! :slight_smile:

Nice, thanks :).

Can it use GPU or it’s CPU only ?

It’s just a UI addon. It uses whatever Cycles can use. And for baking right now Cycles can use only CPU.

Ok, I thought it came from the add-on cause I didn’t know that Cycles only uses CPU for baking. Thanks for explanation :).

Cycles Bake Works in GPU too, set the device in the render panel for GPU and it just work. :rolleyes:

No, a while ago it merely stopped crashing if you set it to GPU. The bake still happens on CPU regardless of your chosen device, just look in your task manager CPU graph while baking (or at least my 780 doesn’t seem to do anything).

Dalai just recently got a CUDA-capable PC. If the ridiculous RAM usage issue can be solved to make GPU baking pratical, maybe we’ll see CUDA baking eventually.

I have device set on GPU and it uses CPU :(.

EDIT : if I use the Blender Bake button, it uses GPU.

GPU used to simply crash blender, so there’s a line in the script that forces it to CPU. It seems it’s no longer necessary, so I’ll remove it, but it still bakes on CPU no matter what you set.

I’m not sure to understand as it bakes on GPU with the Blender “Bake” button, it should bake on GPU with your add-on once you will remove the line in the script no ? (and it’s really faster on GPU).

Looks like a Bug in your blender version or system, cause the bake in GPU works just great. I talked with Dalai last week when i was making Baketool and he said that it are working fine in CUDA GPUs. Here it’s working fine too in my GTX560TI. It’s just working in 2.71 oficial release.

Hmm. I just tried again and you’re right. It does seem to work on GPU after all. Weird. Oh well. The line forcing CPU is removed, and Meltdown works with GPU. So good news :slight_smile:

It seems to bug when you already have a texture for your Material (have a black baked texture).