Mentor needed to IM with ...

Hey people,

I need a blender mentor to IM with, ideally someone who’s always there and know there stuff :wink:

I have a few creative ideas that i want to realise but little patiences when i cant find the right buttons etc. Plus i’ve recently worked on Prince Caspian, James Bond and a few other features for Framestore London, sooooo hopefully that shows a little more credibility LOL :stuck_out_tongue:

Best,
Dave.

Dave,
You seem quite talented… I would think simply going through the guides would suffice… or even the books or files with the dvds. Why go so far as to enlist a mentor?

I would guess that this is because an experienced user has all the synapses built into their brain already and–via IM–can deliver split-second responses and creative solutions, instead of the long and unintuitive process of figuring out the knowledge from Blender’s (currently) ill-fitting and sparse documentation.

I’d do it except I have internet access for like all of 1/6th of the day.

I would think simply going through the guides would suffice… or even the books or files with the dvds. Why go so far as to enlist a mentor?

Time is a big factor. To be honest i do know quite a bit about blender, but it winds me up when i’m completely stumped by something that should be very simple :slight_smile:
Blender is pretty useless when it comes to finding a solution fast, and thats what i want, simply access to someone who knows the in and outs. Ie this evening i couldn’t figure out how to remove a vertice without removing the whole polys surrounding it, it really drove me up the wall. Many tiny little things like that can really build up :slight_smile: another issue i was having was baking disp maps from a sculpt, in blender the only solution i could find involved completely retopologising the mesh in the process which is really counter-productive, and im sure this was the case.
sooo if anyones kind enough and feels they know blender quite well please sign me up to your IM list :slight_smile:
Dave.

I’m curious, what got you interested in Blender in the first place?

Let me explain the deleting the vertex issue. If you delete it there will be nothing for the edge to attach to, therefore no edge, and no polygons.

everlite knows his stuff people, he’s pretty well known around cgtalk. Just to not get any confusion about whether or not he’s professional enough. If the movies he stated he worked on aren’t enough proof.

About the vertex, do you want to create an Ngon (which blender doesn’t have, yet) or do you want to make a new face/poly without using that vertex? you can dragmerge(need to have automerge editing enabled though) or alt+m merge the vertex to another vertex. I just use alt+m. Or just delete the vert, select the open area and hit F to create a new face/open the face creation menu.

Regarding the vertex thing, im probably been a little bias by thinking with a Max head, for example in max if you remove a loop of edges the verts will remain, you can then select the remaining verts and delete them without effecting the polys to which there attached (or maybe it rebuilds them. In blender from my experience last night, when i did the same action, i wanted to get rid of an edge loop it removed the polys too, which i guess makes sense, but not what i wanted :slight_smile: with a whole edge loop missing im guessing the cap hole thing probably wouldn’t work.

I’m curious, what got you interested in Blender in the first place?

I’ve always loved blender, since its early days. Its only recently that i’ve tried to take a commited interest in learning blender when i have spare time. From places where i’ve worked i’ve seen how scenes that seem very complex on screen can be done very easily, and i KNOW blender is capable of doing some things equally as well. I’d love to be able to try and put together a few good examples of what blender can do, if only i can figure out where the buttons are :slight_smile:
If anyones still interested, please get in touch.
Thanks,
Dave.

Select the vertices and press “x”. Select “Edge Loop”. Now it will erase the edge loop and keep the polys. If that was your question.

I remember that in Maya everything was still intact of the mesh when erasing vertices or edges. I really liked how it worked. But it’s not a possibilty in Blender. You have to rethink how your modeling is done.

Everlite, I don’t understand your intention wholely. You say you want to delete a vert but you want to keep the face/ polygon. Just to be clear: do you want, for example, to delete a vert from a 4-sided polygon and after the deletion, a 4 sided polygon remains? Or do you want to delete a vert from a 4 sided polygon, and a 3-sided polygon remains?

I’ve never used the other apps, but the only thing that bugs me about modeling with Blender is that the “Collapse edge” function IS NOT A HOTKEY. That is one of the cardinal function, but it is tucked away deep in a menu structure. But appart from that, polygon modeling wise, Blender works like a charm. Maybe you should take a look at the Poles and Loops thread at the modeling forum.

I’d assume he’s looking for a N-gon, something blender doesn’t have…yet.

Read through the blender Noob to Pro guide. I completed in about as much time as this topic has been open. I know a professional like you could do the same. However, there are some things that no matter how much you try you can’t understand. Unfortunately, there is no one person who can answer ALL the questions. Okay that’s not true now that I think about it:spin:

Get Smited

I’m pretty sure bigbad already answered his question. And Toontje, collapse edge IS under a hotkey, it’s in the alt+m merge menu.

Select the vertices and press “x”. Select “Edge Loop”. Now it will erase the edge loop and keep the polys. If that was your question.

I remember that in Maya everything was still intact of the mesh when erasing vertices or edges. I really liked how it worked. But it’s not a possibilty in Blender. You have to rethink how your modeling is done.

Thanks, thats a very cool piece of information :slight_smile:

If I need to look something up, the Blender Wiki manual usually is of great help (in case you haven’t found it already).

For realtime help you might also want to try Blender’s IRC channel #blender on irc.freenode.net.

To be honest, I’ve had questions answered by developers and artists around here. I would guess that there are only a handful of people that have all of the answers.

Thanks man! I don’t use alt+m that often because of the distance between alt and m for the left hand.

I too am looking for an IM mentor/blender buddy who tends to be on IM a lot. Sometimes it’s good to just have somebody to bounce ideas off occasionally. PM me and we’ll trade messengers.