Mercedes-Benz G-Class

Your render looks very clean and the interior is very good lit. Could you tell me a little bit more about render settings and glass material? Is there a glass window at all or you have added windows in post processing?

Great looking car and exceptional shading / texturing & compostiting. I didnā€™t take the time to watch the making of, but what I am curious about is the city environment. Was this all modeled or is it HDRI, or some combination of both?

Awesome, Iā€™m specially wondering why you didnā€™t use compositing but I think youā€™re better in Photoshop, yep?
Anyway I wanna know how did you get the same environment as the ads.

just buy good HDR+back plate

Are you kidding us where you have worked?

Terrific scene. Simply amazing. The city feels rather abandonedā€¦cities are normally bustling with people, especially Middle Eastern ones (Iā€™m just guessing thatā€™s what this is, based on the palm trees and license plate), so for a photorealistic scene, you should probably add more activity. But Iā€™m not judging; everything you did here is AWESOME.

Beautiful, awesome work. Well done both.

I canā€™t share the enthusiasm.
Sorry, but compositing is not good and materials are lacking a lot.

The materials look like realtime game engine, sterile and too glossy making the car feeling wrong in the real background image.
The compositing is not so great either, an out of the factory, showroom clean car on a rain wet streetā€¦ feels wrong too.

I like it alot.

Two nitpicks (more for your friend, since they are about the modelling):

The tyres need to squash a litte from the weight of the car, and the licence plate looks off. It needs a ridge and to be inset a bit. Google ā€œnummernschild deutschlandā€ for some reference.

While youā€™re right that all these points do not make the picture look realistic, I understand that the intention of the image is to recreate the look of a current Mercedes advertisment. If you google ā€œMercedes Adā€ youā€™ll find several references and I have to say ptazek got that look down quite good. German car ads look like this nowadays, especially Mercedes and BMW.

Best car render Iā€™ve seen coming from Cycles I think. Only crit I have except for what the others have said is that you might want to try to match the DOF of your car with that of your backplate. The car is standing on a spot of the backplate which is slightly out of focus, yet the car is completely sharp. Also Iā€™d probably not put the flare of those fog lights in the ground reflection.

Iā€™d love to see more stuff from you.

I saw this picture and the gallery and first couldnā€™t believe that this was created with Blenderā€¦Itā€™s a very nice render. Thanks for creating the timelapse.

@Ghilas_Hardgeek Thank you :slight_smile: Shading is very simple, please take a look:

@ntnsftr Thanks :slight_smile: for glass shader I just used refl pass and rest is done in post :slight_smile: normaly thats all what you need :slight_smile:
@harleynut97 is right, its photo backplate and HDRI for refl, lighting support :slight_smile:
@blend2cap Thank you :slight_smile: yes you are right, I know PS much better. Itā€™s not the same backplete. That what you see in making of video is my look and feel image (reference) I cut out the car from original bacplate and used for new one.
@Kramon YEP! :slight_smile:
@Valentinas Thanks! :))) I work with cars a bit :slight_smile:
@Owldude Thank you! :slight_smile: Yes I agree with you, I was thinking to maybe add a driver and create a driving shotā€¦ but I like it how it is finalyā€¦ o maybe I was to lazy :stuck_out_tongue:
@AxelWorldVideos Thanks! :slight_smile:
@arexma is also right that was not a goal for me.
@schdeffan Thank you!! I agree with you 100% :slight_smile: Tires, licplate will be fixed for next my renderings:)
@Oscar_J Thank you too! :slight_smile: I think you are rightā€¦ to have small DOF would be niceā€¦ so next time I will try to do not forget :slight_smile:
@KarelZe Thank you so much :slight_smile: I am really glad you guys like it

Thanks and thanks for showing it on the front page! :slight_smile:
you all guys rox!

very nice
something doesnā€™t look quite right, maybe its because the sun is coming from behind and the front of the car is completely lit?

hey Love the car love the photoshop finishing off (gotta love layers) top notch

Jason Kelly
CEO at
Atomic Level Gaming Studio

How do you do this trick, where every single object has different, high contrast color?

Good work, i love this style :yes:

Can you repair the link for the carpaint material ?

Great work, i love this style :wink:

Can you repair the link for the carpaint material ? :slight_smile:

Wow, great render! my only comments would be the shadow thatā€™s a bit too sharp, and the headlights seem to be reflecting on the ground but are not actually turned on. Other than that Amazing!

Looks good man, real good. Itā€™s very similar in style to most Mercedes ads. I would love to know how many polys your friends mesh has. I have seen a few wires of some pro level meshes and boy the can be scary heavy.

why not used GIMP?