Mercury glass texture

I’m fairly new to blender, and have been trying to figure out nodes lately. Most of it has been smooth sailing, but something recently has me stumped. I want to render mercury glass like the image below; it is basically just mirrored (or in many cases clear) glass with a glossy paint splatter in it. What I’ve been trying to do is make a black and transparent .png pattern in photoshop, unwrap the UV over that, and then fiddle with nodes until something happens. I would be more specific but I know it’s wrong and probably embarrassing.

Long story short, how do I make a texture where some parts of the surface are clear or mirrored, and other parts are glossy and colored? I really appreciate any help or tips.

Use a black and white texture to control the fac slot of a mix shader (with glossy/diffuse shaders)

To get the effect above you could use a couple of the inbuilt procedural textures passed through a colour ramp or math node. I’d post a node setup - but I don’t have access to my computer that has blender on it.

Pardon the low quality, my work computer is like five years old and slow as hell so I didn’t want to wait ten minutes to render a test. Your advice definitely helped but I still can’t get the gold bit to look gold and the glass bit to look glass.

Couple of hints:

Instead of the add node - change to a mix node and make it mostly glossy.

Plug a second glass node into the empty slot of the mix node you already have. Currently its empty which will render as black.

I’d also run the texture through a colour ramp or a math node to make the texture sharper at the boundaries.

Couple of hints:

Instead of the add node - change to a mix node and make it mostly glossy.

Plug a second glass node into the empty slot of the mix node you already have. Currently its empty which will render as black.

I’d also run the texture through a colour ramp or a math node to make the texture sharper at the boundaries.

The colour ramp you have at the start of the node group (plugging into the glossy) isnt doing much. IMO the colour needs to come from the glass - the glossy should be white to give you that chrome/mercury look.

I played around and made this quick & dirty version. If you actually UV the cylinder it will probably look better on the inside, I just applied a straight glass texture to the interior faces.

That looks perfect! And much simpler than the crap I was trying. Thanks a ton!