Merge Complicated Shapes

Hello guys!
I would have a quick question about merging two objects.

How would I get a smooth, nice seam between those two round objects?

I already tried it with the boolean modifier but it didn’t work out that well.

Has anybody an idea what I could do?

You need to rethink your workflow and just plan ahead. Basically the openings where they merge have to match in terms of topology and geometry.

There are some boolean options both internal and addon wise but they wont be great for what you are looking for. Those booleans are not meant for good looking topology

If this was done in nurbs, that would have been a different story.

Ok, thank you very much! So that means that is should try to make those two shapes out of one?

You can if that is comfy for you. However you can also make them separate if you want, you just need to match the vertex numbers of the openings around the holes. When that in place you have good options like “bridge (offers curvature)” or manualy knitting the between polygons then doing curvature control.

Allright, I’m going to give it another try with that in mind.
Thank you!

Without seeing the actual topology, I can’t be 100% certain, but based on assumptions, it should be eminently possible to remove what looks like a handle and model that from the main mesh, much more cleanly and more quickly.

You can apply the boolean and then tidy things up assuming you used appropriate geometry (roughly) in the first place. Merge near miss vertices, cut in some supporting edges with the Knife tool, slide vertices around with double G. This is just a crude approximation of the type of shapes you showed us. You might end up with a couple of triangles, but they’re not the end of the world :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

There is also the loop tools option as well, you could delete the verts that would be the center section leaving a hole. Select the whole edge of the hole and shortcut “W” to bring up the looptools and go to circle. It will then make the selected edge a circle. You will also get a vert count telling you how many verts you have to match up with. Or just extrude them down and add bevels or support loops to get the result you like.

I even took it a step further and after creating the hole and scaling it to get an oval shape I shrinkwrapped it to a duplicate without the hole cut out to get it smooth, applied the shrinkwrap and extruded the handle section down. Added the bevel " Ctrl+B"

Try Bevel after Boolean

1 Like