Merging 2 objects (blender 2.49b)?

Is there a way to completetly merge 2 objects? I dont want to use Join since it doesnt really merge them (when converting to other formats its still 2 completetly separate objects, this is what i want to avoid).

I tried Union but it only joins parts of the meshes and basicly ruins one of the 2 objects.

Thanks.

I don’t understand I think. If you use ctrl-j to join two meshes, you would still need to weld them together in edit mode either by removing doubles, or using loop tools addon to bridge edge loops.

Hm, not sure what removing doubles has to do with anything, it doesnt weld the two together.

What i have is two separate vegetation meshes, neither is very complex, basicly just 2D planes. I want them as one mesh since they share the same texture atlas and for the game they’re intended for they need to be one object, not two separate instances. Join is just something that works inside blender i believe, for example if you export two joined objects as an .obj and import it again it will have separated the two again because .obj format doesnt see the Join operation as something that matters.

I’ll look into Loop tools though, thanks.

Join is just something that works inside blender i believe, for example if you export two joined objects as an .obj and import it again it will have separated the two again because .obj format doesnt see the Join operation as something that matters.

It depends on the obj export settings. An obj can certainly have disconnected meshes as a single object
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.4/Py/Scripts/Export/Wavefront_obj

yeah i guess that’s true, what i mean is that they’re still separated even though they behave (for a specific format) like they are merged completetly. I’m using .nif, i dont think there’s a way to export them as a completely joined object for that format.

Rather than going backwards and forwards, just attach screenshots showing what you have and indicating what you want to achieve as well as your blend file and any textures. This you should do for ALL support questions to ensure anyone who wishes to respond has all the relevant infomation and doesn’t have to just use guesswork

Ok, here’s a screen: http://piclair.com/data/4qan9.jpg

the lighter green fern is a separate object, it needs to be joined with the smaller, darker ferns. They’re all just built using 2D planes.

edit: solved it by remaking one of the meshes from scratch using a separated mesh and then joining them… seems like as long as they share the same material name(s?) they will be joined in the .nif file format.

Attachments

FERNS.BLEND (1.47 MB)