Merging adjacent faces OR...

(pda) #1

Hi, I’m new to Blender and I’ve run into a problem implementing Kovachev’s tutorial on creating Pixar-like eyes. My problem is in mapping the supplied .jpg to the IRIS mesh, namely that my mesh mirrors the cornea which I’ve created by slicing the end off an icosphere. My IRIS has many faces and it appears that the iris in the tutorial only has ONE! How can I merge adjacent faces in the IRIS? Alternately, how can I create an IRIS with only one face? Remember, the IRIS is the concave eye component that has a hole in the middle of it. Thanks. Other than that, my I-Ball is looking A-OK. What a great tip!

(rwv01) #2

Hi.

The iris in the tut is multiple faces. It’s just a ring of vertexes that has been duplicated from the sphere at the hole and extruded inward. The inner verts are then grabbed in a and moved back in a edge-on view to give it some dish.

(pda) #3

Hi,

Well I seem to have the same shape for the iris mesh although I went about it differently. Actually, my creation shows edges between the outer and inner rings which I don’t see in the tutorial. So, I will try the technique you describe.

Another possibility is that the problem may lie in how I’ve mapped the JPG image to the texture. The texture in the tutorial shows a sphere with 3 distinct ovals, I come up with something that looks exactly like the original iris JPG. Consequently, upon rendering, I get a BLACK section between 6 and 8 o’clock on the iris. This MIGHT just be shadow but I suspect not given what I’ve just described.

Thanks for the assistance!

PDA

(rwv01) #4

The reason the iris looks different is because this tutorial was originally made with an older version of Blender (2.22±?) which drew SubSurfaced meshes a bit differently. The tutorial was later updated for the 2.3X series which has a newer interface design so the button images were updated accordingly. The 3d view however still shows the old drawing style. (Note the grid as well). But the images still serve the purpose.

Anyway, I think there are a couple of things not mentioned in the tut.
The black disk should be moved inside the sphere just behind the iris.
Also make sure you have “Tex Face” on in the Material Buttons, Material panel.